Roosts/Perches

• 9 Replies

Burny

Roosts/Perches
« on: March 24, 2010, 21:39 »
Hi everybody,
I'm a newbie to keeping chickens, and have just got three POL's which have sarted laying within 2 days of getting them home.
Please can anyone tell me if a roost is the same as a perch, the reason being I have built my own coop but did not put any in. Are they necessary, if so what are the specifications for 3 hens.
Thanks in advance.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Roosts/Perches
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 21:44 »
Each hen needs about 12" of roosting space on a perch. Make the edges of the perch rounded and make them about 2" wide. Depending on what breed you have can effect the heights of the perch - heavy breeds can injur themselves jumping down so either have them about 18" of the ground or have a ladder up to the perch. Make the perch higher than the nesting boxes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 21:46 »
Hello Burny! welcome to the site.  How lovely that you are already getting eggs from your girls.  What type of girls have you got?  lucyloux

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 21:49 »
Oh - forgot to say, most hens use a perch instinctively but 2 of mine dont.  It is best to give them the option of a perch as that is what they have been designed to sleep on!! :D

Burny

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 22:10 »
 Thanks for your replies so quickly, I have 2 bluebells and 1 light sussex, the supplier I got them from didnt have any roosts in the 'sheds' so I didn't think it was important. I will certainly sort it out tomorrow for my little girls, and like you say Lucylou, at least they got a choice.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53 »
If they have perches - some need training to use them - it stops them sleeping in the nest boxes and you then get pooey eggs! i am currently having an ongoing battle with one of my hens who likes to sleep in the nest box. Perhaps I should put a sign up :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:20 »
How far from the back wall should the perches be?

I've got two bantam hens I was given. Neither of them wants to use the perch at all. Instead, they settle down in the hay facing each other, one with its neck resting on the upper part of the back of the other. They have plenty of room in the henhouse, so I presume they do it for company and warmth. Either that or the perch is badly positioned or they were a bit cramped in their previous accommodation and got used to sleeping like that. I have to say, it's quite cute to see and they don't seem unhappy birds. We get an egg a day off each of them. I presume if they were stressed or discontented, that wouldn't be the case.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24 »
Some hens need teaching - so you have to go in every evening and lift them onto the perches, this can take several weeks. I have a couple that absolutely refuse to perch no matter how many times I try to get them to do so, so you just have to make sure that you get their pooh out of the nesting boxes before they lay.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 17:24 »
They need to have space from and back so that they can hop up or jump down without it behing awkward for them.  So depends how high the perch is.

Some of mine perch on an 18 in igh, all snuggle up together at one end, whilst others perch on the front edge of the nest box - about 3 inches high :D  And others prefer to snuggle up in the nest box itself.  I don't mind, poo washes off.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 18:18 »
Mine roost where they want, its there choice  ::) Mine are ex bats and have had a hard enough life already without me dictating to them. It is a good idea to get them to roost on the perch and I read it is bad for the breast bones if they dont. When I supply fresh water to them everyday I poo pick the coop and fluff it all up for them so its nice and cosy and clean.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
How far apart should perches be?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:08
by mad chicken
question
Perches

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 09:25
by ehs284
xx
Perches.

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 19:31
by Lindeggs
xx
Perches

Started by rugbyman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 22:33
by mpv1961

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 37 queries.