Ants - Pants!

• 3 Replies

elainew50

Ants - Pants!
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:42 »
From a newby to the site...  I am planning on growing vegetables and fruit in my largish garden but am plagued with ants.  They seem to be devouring everything I put into the soil.  I don't want to kill them all but in both the beds I have dug, there they are.  How do I convince them to move house - preferably into the school playing fields next door to my garden?   

Trillium

Re: Ants - Pants!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 18:56 »
Ants hate cultivated soil so keep turning the area over or weeding a lot, add lots of manure and compost to their favourite spot and they'll quickly move on. If you know where the nest hole is, dig into that as well and they'll move even faster.

James1

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 20:01 »
Why dont you want to kill them? You might not be left with little or no choice, because based on my experience its just going to be very hard to move them.

Let us know how you get on.

elainew50

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:10 »
Thanks guys for the messages.  I don't want to kill them because they are not doing anything wrong, they are living their lives the way they know which may cause me a bit of inconvenience and a few extra plants but I don't believe it is a reason to kill them.  I will try the cultivation and compost and hopefully I will get a resulting good crop.  :)

xx
Red Ants

Started by Novice on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
red ants,how to get rid of.

Started by captain beeky on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 23:03
by WG.
xx
Oh, the ants

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2019, 09:45
by Snowpea
xx
bl***y ants

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 13:47
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 36 queries.