Potatoes alongside other veg

• 7 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
Potatoes alongside other veg
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:05 »
I have been planning what to put where in my two new raised beds, one is 2mx2m and the other one is 4mx2m. I do not want to dedicate one whole bed to pots as have quite a lot of other stuff I want to grow, but can I grow pots in a bed with other veg, ie leeks, beetroot, carrots. All my beans/ peas, kale, chard etc going in larger bed. Wondering if I should plant the pots elsewhere which leaves me with a problem, unless I use bags.

Advice please would be helpful

bigben

Re: Potatoes alongside other veg
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34 »
I have used bags for a few years now and am doing so again this year. The only down sides are the need for regular watering and also what to fill them with. The bags hold about 40l of compost each so it can be pricey if your buying it all new. Last year I stuffed my compost bins with stuff and chucked in some horse poo so I have about 400l of compost enriched with horse much that I am hoping will do my bagged spuds this year. If you have the room for bags somewhere and can get cheap stuff for to fill them I would be tempted to use them and use your bed space for something else. You can also then use the bags to grow other stuff one the spuds have been dug up. Last year I mixed a couple with some sand and did carrots but you might be able to get courgettes or squash in them.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39 »
one is 2mx2m and the other one is 4mx2m

It depends on how many potatoes you are growing to allow good growing space between each plant, and whether 1st earlies or maincrop (if first earlies, you could lift those up about end of June/mid-July-ish and plant your leeks etc.)  If you only have enough potatoes to fill half a bed, then there's no reason why you can't use the other half for something else, allowing a decent space between the crops so they don't compete for light/nutrients

All my beans/ peas, kale, chard etc going in larger bed.

Personally I would give the larger bed to the potatoes but as mentioned, it depends on how many spuds etc  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02 »
I have only gone for first and second earlies, being penland javelin, rocket and charlottes, only have about 6 of each, did'nt want to do too many as it is my first time and there are only 2/3 of us at home. Would prefer to put them in one of the beds otherwise I will end up spending so much money on compost for bag growing that it will not be cost effective. How much distance do you recommend I leave between pots and other veg?

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 13:03 »
At least 2 foot, this is to allow earthing up of the spuds
Paul

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 17:03 »
I also would leave 2 foot between your pots and other veg as the pot haulms are quite wide, unless you plan to plant sweetcorn then leave about a foot as they will grow above the haulms. Re- earthing up in raised beds - as I understand from some sources, it's just to stop the upper pots going green - I earthed up my two pot ridges once last year then used mulch - you could just cover them with added compost and/or straw/grass cuttings as they grow. Others will agree or disagree and I would be interested to know what they say when referring to growing pots in raised beds.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 17:41 »
last year in my 12ft x 4ft beds I grew 2 rows of spuds lengthwise, and found it difficult to earth them up, as I could only pull earth over from the middle :(
This year they are cross wise with 2 ft between each row, so I can pull earth over from both sides........I hope it will work better :)

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 17:56 »
MOS - thanks for posting this my beds are 12 x 4 and after reading this post earlier I was starting to wonder if I would struggle will do like you and plant width ways

Missy

xx
What can I sow alongside Maincrop?

Started by mparveen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:12
by DD.
xx
Selling Excess Veg alongside my Eggs-Prices?

Started by Missie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 23:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.