raspberries

• 30 Replies

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: raspberries
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 09:44 »
Thank you swing swang, i might well give that a try. Do the paving slabs stop the suckers going too far ?

And is that a carddon you have in the pot ?

:)

Swing Swang

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49 »
andtiggertoo - Unfortunately the suckers [edit - I meand paving slabs] don't contain the suckers! They're acually there so that I can fuss over my quince tree and get to my rhubarb and jerusalem artichokes withought getting my feet muddy. I have quite a lot of these in the garden adn use them as moveable paths and 'stepping stones' - wouldn't be without them, much prefer them to builders boards, and there're often free on freecycle etc.

The cardoon is actally a globe artichoke - grew a lot from seed, selected the four best, but still have a few in pots which I'll need to give away.

SS
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:38 by Swing Swang »

Ivor Backache

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24 »
I have planted raspberries for the first time. I am under the impression that the canes need cutting back each year because the fruit grows on new canes. Yet Swing Swang has let his canes continue to grow.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 11:32 »
Depends whether you have planted summer or autumn-fruiting raspberries Ivor.

Summer fruiting produce fruit on the new canes which grew the previous year, and are cut down after fruiting, leaving this year's new canes to overwinter for next year's crop.

Autumn fruiting produce fruit on the canes which grow in the current year, which are also cut back after fruiting.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Swing Swang

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 11:39 »
Thanks for beating me to it JayG - SS

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 11:52 »
Thanks for beating me to it JayG - SS

You're very welcome (car in garage for service + rain pouring down = SpeedyJayG!)  :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 11:56 »
I bought several canes from Aldi and have a row of a dozen plants which have all grown well in their first year. In the winter  I cut the canes to half as a tidying up measure. My canes now look like Swing Swangs ie with buds on the stems, with no sign of any new growth at the base.

I have kept the card inserts and they all say the same- Cut back all growth to the ground.
I have Malling Jewel.Tulamen, Glen Cova and Glen Ample. There is no mention whether they are summer or autumn fruiting.

I was going to cut them all back this week end but now I am not so sure.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 12:08 »
Those are all summer fruiting varieties Ivor but of course they have only just been planted.

If you cut them all down you will not get a crop this year but of course your plants will be able to establish and gain strength for next year.

I wouldn't like to guess how many people are that patient though..................!  :nowink:

Ivor Backache

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23 »
Thank you jayG. In that case I will cut them back. They have grown for one year without fruiting.
Swing Swang: How old are your plants please?

Swing Swang

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 13:21 »
This will be the third season. If you look just to the right of the planks you'll see lots of small green shoots - these are raspberry suckers coming through - going to attend to them now.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 14:06 »
Just re-read your posts Ivor and realised that your "first time" raspberries have already been growing for a year!

As you now know you shouldn't have cut back last year's growth, but having spared at least half the length of the canes I would leave them to produce some fruit this summer. You will still get new canes growing for next year and will then be back on track!

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 15:03 »
am still pondering the best way to plant my raspberries.

I like the circular thing swing swang is doing, fortunatley the canes i've got happen to be summer flowering.  But am still wondering if i can avoid those suckers  coming up where they're not wanted by growing the canes in a raised bed. How deep do those suckers grow ?

when we moved in to our house nearly 20 years ago the garden had a patch of ancient brambles about 10' by 30' it was back breaking getting them out. :mad: Hence my not wanting to go there again !

Advice from anyone who grows them in a raised bed would be great thanks :)

hendreary

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 15:35 »
On the subject of raspberries. I planted a dozen Glen Ample canes in October last year, the soil is really good with loads of well rotted organic matter incorporated in it. I followed all the instructions but as yet all I have are 12 twigs sticking out of the ground there is no new growth on them at all. Is this right or should they be showing some sign of life by now.
Geoff Davis. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 16:35 »
Are your "twigs" really twigs or just stumps? If they are more than a few inches long they should have a few buds on them which if green means the cane and the plant are alive.

No need to worry yet anyway; this year has not exactly got off to a flier and you may possibly have planted them a little too deep which will slow them down.

(I also have the suspicion that new shoots from the base may sometimes get attacked by slugs and snails; keep your eyes peeled for signs of that happening!)

hendreary

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 16:40 »
They are about 6 inches long with no signs of anything green anywhere.

xx
raspberries

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 13:00
by JayG
xx
Raspberries

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:43
by DD.
xx
raspberries

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 15:14
by samuria
xx
raspberries again

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:09
by SG6

Page created in 0.602 seconds with 38 queries.