Fruity Question

• 1 Replies

Dill The Dog

Fruity Question
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:25 »
Hi all,

I've decided to try my hand at growing some soft fruit have bought a blackcurrant bush, which I'm going to grow in a large pot.

In addition, I have bought a thornless blackberry and a summer raspberry.

I only have a little room left in my garden plot, but have set aside a small bed 1m x 0.5m.

Will the blackberry and raspberry happily grow next to each other in this small bed or do they need different soil conditions, will they need different feed or am I better off putting one in the bed and potting the other up?

Both plant are 'infants', so I don't expect a fruit crop this year.

Thanks  :)

paintedlady

Re: Fruity Question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58 »
raspberry "travels" by sending runners underground, so planting the blackcurrant & raspberry together is not such a good idea.  If you get a nice big pot, I would suggest putting the raspberry in there as they are much hardier than you think, and planting the blackcurrant in the garden.  Dig a hole deeper than the pot with the blackcurrant so that it ends up with a soil level above it's original level (they seem to like this for some reason)  You can add compost/manure to the bottom of the hole so that the roots get a good feed and encourage growth. 

Re: fruit - you might get a token taster but you should really let the plants establish themselves in the first year and let all the energy go into growing new wood.  I'm presuming you have a summer fruiting raspberry so you may well get fruit off this cane, and new canes that come up will fruit next year  ;) 
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Fruity

Started by Redgoat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 15:54
by simonwatson
clip
Hoping To Get Fruity Next Year!

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2013, 18:33
by MickyB
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 35 queries.