what species of tomato

• 5 Replies

tweetpia

what species of tomato
« on: March 22, 2010, 13:44 »
hello im frm the uk am new here and new in gardening as well am interested to grow veg in my small plot of land (wc grows  flowers before) and wondering what species of tomato will grow best in our climate.. hopin for a kind reply Cheers! ::)

penance

Re: what species of tomato
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 13:51 »
Hi,

Do you mean for outdoor growing or under glass?

Your location in the UK will affect planting times etc.

Most suppliers will have the info as to whether the variety is suitable for outdoor growing in the UK.

Hope that helps a little.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 13:59 »
I've always grown cherry toms well, I don't like bigger toms though, and have tried different varities. Two varities I can remember of the top of my head are Gartenperle and Sweetie F1. If you've only got a small plot what about growing one like Tumblin Tom that can be grown in a hanging basket? This year I'm growing yellow and red tumbling toms in one hanging basket, and cut-and-come-again salad leaves. Right outside the kitchen door - easy peasy  :D :D

Where are you in the country? I wouldn't put them out yet - I'm in the South and I've started my tom seeds off on windowsills to go outside in a month or so.
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 15:20 »
I'm like Tomato 'Tumbler'.  Really easy and very forgiving if you forget to water.  And a bush tomato so doesn't need pinching out.  I grow in big pots, but you could use hanging basket, just one plant in each.  Mine usually need a bit of support when the stems gets heavy with toms.

I grow mine in greenhouse, but believe they can be grown outdoors, but not just yet. 

tweetpia

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 15:43 »

wooow thanks so much guys for the suggestions, am sowing seeds in my kitchen (currently sprouting) then hopes to transfer them in a big pot coz have nowhere to hang them .. am in sheffield and will look into those variety tt rhythmick suggested , i have the tumbling reds tt flowerpower have been raising so am hoping will have an awesome breed.
   mmuah to you all! am just glad people out there are active in gardening coz dont have friends tt are into it ..

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 20:08 »
These are the best toms I've ever tasted:

'Gardener's Delight' - Supersweet Irish Version

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/vinetomatoes.html

xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig
clip
What is this on my tomato?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 13:02
by missmoneypenny
xx
Tomato help please

Started by scott40k on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 08:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
tomato

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 16:42
by gobs

Page created in 0.78 seconds with 36 queries.