When do eggs go off?

• 12 Replies

ineedhelp

When do eggs go off?
« on: March 20, 2010, 15:12 »
Having had some excellent, informative advice from this forum it has strengthened by desire to start keeping chickens. I was debating whether to buy a chicken coop or make one but I think I'm going to go with a ready made one from Omelet. They not only deliver and install the coop but bring with it all the things you need equipment, food, etc. On top of that they give you a lesson in chicken care and bring with it two hens. Fantastic.  :D

I was wondering though from when a chicken lays an egg, how long does that egg remain edible before it goes off and is no longer for human consumption? I wouldn't want to get ill - especially my daughter.  :wacko:

x

dizzylizzie

Re: When do eggs go off?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 15:35 »
Hi, eggs normally keep 3-4 weeks!! supermarket ones are a few weeks old when they get to the shelves.
To check if an egg is fresh put it in a glass of water. If it sinks its fresh, if it kind of stands up a bit its a bit older, but if it floats its gone off, bin it ;)

ineedhelp

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 15:59 »
Although I never expected that the ones from the supermarket were freshly laid that day, never did I think that they were a few weeks old. That's disgusting especially when you think that it probably takes a week or two to get through tray at home.

Freshness indicator of putting them in a glass of water is a fantastic and simple way to tell.

Is there anything to look out for on the chicken or the condition of the egg to indicate that I should not eat the eggs that are laid. (e.g. chicken having parasites and worms does it effect the eggs in anyway).

ineedhelp. x

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 16:50 »
I think you should have a good read of the Omlet chicken keeping pages as there is loads of stuff on there about your hens and the Eglu you want to buy. I've an Eglu and like it very much - so do the hens. You can get three hens comfortably in it you know, not just two  :D

There is a sticky section here with lots of information - abouts hens and their eggs etc

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 17:00 »
We also happen to have a fantastic poultry section our selves on this forum :D

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/Chicken_a/Chicken_Egg_Excess/chicken-eggs.php

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 19:11 »
too true Lizzie.
I have an eglu, I bought it for my sablepoots but they decided they would prefer to roost with the big girls in the wooden coups, so next time I got new bantams they went in it, but again they decided to join the big girls , so now it is my broody coup and a very good  super stylish broody coup it is too  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

ineedhelp

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 19:16 »
I've decided that an eglu is the coop that I am going to go for, however it is going to cost around £360 with two chickens. Does anyone now of a cheaper deal (or am I just getting too greedy).

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 19:19 »
they now do a cheaper plastic coup or you can buy second hand eglus off their site or ebay for £200 plus but then you will need to sort out the rest of the stuff. They are fantastic coups, so easy to clean and hold their value really well (if I could afford to I would have all my girls and boys in them  :D).

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 21:05 »
this is a very good topic, i wonered if hens had worms or anything if the eggs were safe to eat. the nes that come to the shops i assume, the hens have been treated for all sorts and fed on certain diets only. best most atr kept in quite sterile conditions 

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 21:58 »
Worms or lice do not affect your hens eggs so that they become inedible. There is no egg withdrawel with flubenvet  wormer either :)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 22:52 »
Omlet houses are brill! I have had all sorts of houses ranging from a converted sideboard to bespoke wooden coops and my cube beats them all, I have total confidence that it is clean and safe for my chooks and they seem really happy in it. I would buy second hand though as they are pricey - although they do hold their price very well, there are bargains to be had though :D

ineedhelp

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 01:05 »
Where do you reckon I would find a good deal on a secondhand Omlet coop.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 06:46 »
they are sometimes for sale on the omlet website and on ebay

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 30 queries.