Dwarf Broad Beans

• 11 Replies

drippin

Dwarf Broad Beans
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:55 »
Am going out this afternoon to buy some dwarf broad bean seeds - know it's a bit late, but  but I'm a newbie and not very organised.  Notice some people start them off in newpaper pots, but guess I am rather late for that.  Would I be best to pop them straight in the ground, or use pots first, and if pots, would a light unheated garage be a good place to keep them?  Or.............. have just thought, maybe I should blow the expense and buy plants this year, since I have been so disorganised.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Re: Dwarf Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09 »
I'm sure it's not too late to start some in paper pots. I started mine about 2 wks ago in an unheated greenhouse and they're just through now. Tomorrow I shall put some straight into the ground, assuming it's not pouring with rain like it is now >:( 
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:13 »
same here i will put them straight in the ground when the weather lets me :wub:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:48 »
i planted 1 bean in a 3inch pot,i did 4 pots like this and they all came up at the same time a week ago there going outside next week  :D

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:51 »
If you were in the South like me I'd say whack 'em straight in the ground.
Why not do a few of each and see what happens?
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

drippin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 13:37 »
Yes, I will do a few of each, that's a good idea.

Thanks

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 23:06 »
If the dwarf variety is 'Sutton' they are quite happy growing in containers and will give a good crop. I currently have 2 tubs of them in an unheated greenhouse and will get another 2 going over the next few weeks.

Years ago I remember reading that broad beans can be sown direct into the ground in February to get an early crop. In Cornwall possibly but certainly not 'up north'

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:44 »
We has dwarf beans last year, started some off in an unheated greenhouse and some in the ground four weeks later - made absolutely no difference at all!! (In fact they were both a little disappointing - one bean from six plants.... but we'll be trying again next week!!) We bought a few plants last year, but I always felt a little like I had cheated!!

drippin

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07 »
Yes Norfolk Turkey, I know what you mean.  Previously I have grown fruit and veg in a small plot at the top of our garden, and didn't mind buying young plants, as I needed so few, but now I am an "allotmenteer" I feel as though I should be buying seeds, and doing it properly!! Have got the seeds now, and am growing some in paper pots, ready to transplant later, and am putting a few directly in the ground.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27 »
My "Sutton" dwark BB are just getting their leaves - I planted them in 3" pots after soaking them for more that 24 hours until they showed signs of life. They were up and in business so quickly.

Now they are sitting in a cold-frame waiting for a trip to the plot where they will join some Aquawhats-it ones planted out last autumn..

I just hope the family are ready for a bumbper crop!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33 »
I generally start mine off in pots (paper or otherwise) to stop them being nibbled by meeces!! Also I can plant them so there are no gaps in the row (due to the odd failed germination), also the seeds don't get dug up by the local wildlife and you get that feel good factor from seeing things growing at the plot seemingly quicker.

I know many of you think its a lot of faff, but it works for me. I get to spend more time at home with the kids, they get involved in the sowing of crops (I do quite a lot of my stuff in this way) without seeds being scattered from here to next week. And they get to help on the plot planting plants too.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:37 »
I generally start mine off in pots (paper or otherwise) to stop them being nibbled by meeces!! Also I can plant them so there are no gaps in the row (due to the odd failed germination), also the seeds don't get dug up by the local wildlife and you get that feel good factor from seeing things growing at the plot seemingly quicker.

I know many of you think its a lot of faff, but it works for me. I get to spend more time at home with the kids, they get involved in the sowing of crops (I do quite a lot of my stuff in this way) without seeds being scattered from here to next week. And they get to help on the plot planting plants too.

My reasons for sowing at home are similar... my 96 year old dad can stay involved and the results are more reliable too.  ;)

xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Dwarf Broad Bean Help

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 19:02
by peapod
xx
broad bean dwarf sutton

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 23:16
by the Kergan

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 36 queries.