3 weeks of soft shells - getting concerned.

• 19 Replies

Lardman

3 weeks of soft shells - getting concerned.
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:01 »
Im getting a little worried about Lunch. She's been laying softies for 3 weeks now. I think shes on the tail end of a moult.

Tried the usual, constant access to poultry grit / shell , oystershell added to pellets, crushed egg shell added to pellets, mash with cod liver oil and poultry spice. They're not allowed out of the run and I've stopped giving them corn and other treats.

Its only Lunch, Tarzan and Breakfast are fine.

I read cat food might be a good idea - any preference on type and style? anything else I can get ? (local feedplace doesn't do limestone flour).

8doubles

Re: 3 weeks of soft shells - getting concerned.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:16 »
Have you tried cider vinegar in the drinking water ? It may make the calcium easier to  absorb.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56 »
Hi, Ok, first of all stop with the oil, it really isnt good to give them oil on a regular basis. Moulting really takes it out of a hen. If she was mine i would be giving her a good quality layers pellet, available all day. They need to have grit to help with food absorbtion and oystershell for shell quality (available sepratly). Some people give lifeguard tonic in the water to help them through times of stress, i.e moulting. I have had problems with shell quality in one of my exbatts, an have been adding a tea-spoon of limestone flour into the pellet and i have seen a massive improvement n shell qualty, as have other members :)

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:01 »
if there is anywhere nearby that has pigeon stocks, try a liquid calcium addative to the water

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:07 »
 I had the same problem.I read about Davinova calcium supplement on here,ordered some online and everything's been fine since!

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 13:28 »
I've added some ACV into the water. I'll knock it off with the cod liver oil then, I've not been pouring gallons of it down them though , just mixing a glug into the mash about 3 times a week.

Layers pellets are from "the fancy feed company" I assume this are ok?

I'll have a google for other forms of calcium supplements then.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 13:31 »
The limestone flour is for the calcium...you get it from horsey stores, and it will work  treat ;)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 15:46 »
Mine get a trickle of CLOil two or three times a week as I understand it aids calcium absorption?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 16:45 »
The limestone flour is for the calcium...you get it from horsey stores, and it will work  treat ;)

Found some locally this morning as shes still laying softies.  (makes a terrible mess in the nest box  :( )

I've put about 2 tsp on their pellets - what the correct dosage ?

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 17:53 »
Hi Lardman,
You can bet your boots that she's not suffering from a calcium defiency with all the calcium you're force feeding and othe concoctions you're giving her.  You can overdose on calcium which is really not good and calcium absorption is dependant on a balance of minerals and vits and just overdoing calcium won't necessarily correct an imbalance.  More likely there's something amiss with how she is metabolising it.

I'd do as DizLiz suggests and go back to good basic nutition with a well balanced mix of minerals you'll get from any mainstream feeds companies pellets, BOCM Paul, Dobson & Horrall, Spilers, Dengie etc all should be fine.  Never heard of the Fancy Feed Company but with a name like that I'd fancy avoiding them.  Cut out the supplement witchcraft and she'll probably right herself.

HF
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 17:56 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 18:01 »
My ex batts have all day access to top quality 'ex batt pellets', but still had problems with shells.

I've been using limestone flour for a while now, and shell quality had definately improved, but sad to report that Nelly has just started again with softies.  :( 

For 8 girls, I've been adding a heaped teaspoon of limestone flour every day mixing it in with their afternoon portion of corn and mash.  I found it wasn't sticking very well to plain pellets.  

They have a small scoop of corn every afternoon bulked up with the same quantity of layers mash.  I serve this up as a wet mash, and it's a good way of ensuring that any supplements are taken up, because not a crumb is left, ever!

To aid absorbption I add a slurp of codliver oil once a week.  At the moment they are also on Poultry spice, cos 4 out of 8 are moulting.

Not sure about doseage either, so any advice welcome!

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 18:16 »
I'd do as DizLiz suggests and go back to good basic nutition with a well balanced mix of minerals you'll get from any mainstream feeds companies pellets, BOCM Paul, Dobson & Horrall, Spilers, Dengie etc all should be fine.

http://www.fancyfeedcompany.co.uk/ If they were no-name local farm pellets I might be inclined to agree.

Cut out the supplement witchcraft and she'll probably right herself.

I'll try the flour for a week - give it a fair chance. But after that I'll cut all the supplements, she's top chicken so I can't think she's missing out on anything.

janette

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 20:16 »
whats wrong with good old oyster shell it' what I use and it seems to work after a few days

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 22:41 »
If Lunch is an exbat this isn't an uncommon problem.  Cage fatigue can cause it.  The other thing which is often overlooked in nutrition is water.  Clean fresh water every day can work wonders.  I' definitely use some multivits.  There's a bayer? Pig & Poultry soluable crystal sold in a sachet which lasts a good while for a few chickens at only a fraction the cost of Lifeguard.  If you haven't trried vitamins I suggest that rather than more calcium which I think needs Vit K and phosphorous for it to be absorbed and a shortage of one of these can cause the symptoms you see.

HF

Flowerpower136

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 11:42 »
I've just e-mailed a supplier for some advice, I'll see what they come back with, and pass it on!

question
soft egg shells

Started by mears on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 23:23
by mears
xx
Soft Shells

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 09:50
by Flowerpower136
xx
Soft Egg Shells

Started by melc1962 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 19:25
by peggyprice
question
Soft Egg Shells

Started by Rickety Gate on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 00:34
by Rickety Gate

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 36 queries.