Too close for comfort!

• 14 Replies

Lynda_T

Too close for comfort!
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:27 »
Had to take my 3yr old to A&E yest ...erm...his love for the hens has taken a step to far!  Got a couple of sussex crosses a few months ago and they have become really friendly, well perhaps the word friendly is used a bit loosley in this case!  My son loves to dig for worms for the girls and they all flock around him waiting and digging along with him. 
In this case one of the new girls just looked him straight in the face and pecked his EYE!!  Lucky for him it just looked worse than it actually was, his eye was streaming with blood and i was a bit worried for a while. 
Anyway long story short hes ok its a bit weepy and swollen today but no major damage done.
Has anyone else experienced this with their hens??  All my other girls dont peck faces, hand and fingers yes and that i can understand (worms) just wondering if anyone else has heard or had an experience like this!
 :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Too close for comfort!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:44 »
Oh how awful for your son, I do hope he is ok and that it hasn't frightened him too much. Not had any peck my face. legs yes (when I'm not quick enough to give them their treats)and hands only when I give them their corn and treats.
Staffies are softer than you think.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:10 »
Ah poor little chap! i got a sharp peck to my eyebrow one night when i bent in to check they were all roosting - that gave me a bit of a surprise! -i hope your boy continues to love the hens, ive got an 11 year old who is very good with them but my 17 year old daughter is scared of them! (though shed never admit it!)

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:28 »
Poor wee soul - I hope he is better soon, and I do hope this hasn't put him off chooks!

Mine like to peck at buttons on my trousers, and several have had a go at my wedding ring!  They also de-bit my jumpers if I have shavings or aubiose stuck to me. I don't think I am small enough for them to reach my eyes - but I will certainly warn my brother (who will soon be getting some chooks! :D :D) as my nephew is pretty small!

Thanks for the warning, and big hugs for your boy xx

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:58 »
Hope he's getting better and has not been put off the chooks. Some of mine will peck at anything, but never aggressively. I have had ocassional pecks towards the eyes. I wear glasses, so have guessed that the reflection in the lense was the subject of the peck. Maybe the culprit saw the reflection of a hen, or simply something moving, apparently in the eye of your son. Chooks are probably hard wired to react to certain shapes and movements because there isn't time to think whether it is a worm or not before diving in.
This is a warnng to me as I often lift one up for my one year granddaughter to 'talk to'. They are very tame and like many animals seem to have an understanding of children, but built in reactions may overcome any intended behaviour. Thanks for the warning.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:15 »
I hope there's no lasting damage and he hasnt been put off digging for worms with them. My 3yr old is always picking mine up so the warning headed here too. Thanks

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:26 »
Ahhh, little love. Give him a hug from me. Dont let him become scared of them.....they are such lovely pets. One of mine love teeth, my nose pin,my eyes, and more recently , a mole that i have on my neck!! But she is a lovely chicken :tongue2: :D :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10 »
I do worry about being pecked in the face when I have a hen on my lap ... they seem so interested in my glasses  :(
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Lynda_T

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25 »
Thanks to everyone, he's fine with the hens just a little warey which is prob for the best lol  :)  But i will remind him that they are animals at the end of the day and not the stuffed kind which are ok to cuddle!  :tongue2: 

Thanks again for ur support!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:31 »
Owww, some of mine love a cuddle ;). They are just curious that all. Im sure she ment him no harm, i think their pecking is just the same as us picking something up to look at it, they are just testing it thats all. Im soooo glad it hasnt put him off chickens and will continue to have many more worm hunts :)....I think every tot should have their own 'digging 'partner ;)

Jeanette

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 12:30 »
I hope he had a nice long cuddle and is not afraid of the girls. My 3 year old grandson digs for the worms with  the chickens so i will be more careful in the future.

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 13:18 »
My three run a mile when they see a little child. I suppose they're fox-sized! Gives the child and chickens plenty of exercise when they chase them round the garden!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 19:58 »
Poor little boy, I hope it doesn't put him off them. The chicken probably saw a sparkle of light in his eye and was attracted to it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 20:00 »
mine will peck my feet and legs but it is just t get my attention - I don't think they mean any harm it's just that children are smaller so the hens can reach higher on them. Hope it hasn't upset your little one too much.

TeaPots

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 22:36 »
I'm with the toad....they love things that sparkle, and if his little eyes were sparkly, and blinked with lovely hairy eyelashes, i imagine chook thought it was a fly or at least something edible. Oh bless, but a very healthy reminder to us all....chicken, like all pets, need respect for their beaks and claws/spurs etc.

Hope his eye is all better, and that you all still love your girls, I'm sure she is very sorry, and didnt mean to hurt him  :(

xx
so close.

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 17:26
by k4t1e195
xx
To close pop hole or not???

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 19:40
by browntrouty
xx
Free meal for anyone close by

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 09:59
by azubah
xx
Perches (in the coop) How close together/far apart

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 17:02
by pink-chicken

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 37 queries.