escallonia hedge disaster

• 5 Replies

gardener247

• Experienced Member
escallonia hedge disaster
« on: March 18, 2010, 20:27 »
in the autunm the leaves developed white spots and there was a  white fungusey looking going down the middle of the stems. its an evergreen and now there are no leaves and no new sign of growth :ohmy: so will i plant climbers to grow up through it. its well developed and is leaving us very exposed now that there are no leaves!! what do you think i should do it will take too long to plant new shrubs :closedeyes:

DavidT

Re: escallonia hedge disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 20:49 »
Any chance of a pic or two? It sounds to me like it could be Honey Fungus. If that`s the case, then you have problems.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:30 »
it will take too long to plant new shrubs :closedeyes:
We planted 4' high copper beech last year. Not cheap, but not exspensive either - bare rooted plants, so only Nov-Mar planting season.

Then there is Instant Hedge - about £200 per metre  :ohmy:

Personally I don't think using it is a climbing frame is a long term prospect - the dead wood will start off before very long. But in the short term how about Morning Glory?  Very showy, and grows like bindweed (without the bit about being impossible to get rid of though!)

If there is something noxious in the soil you may have to sort that out first though - I don't know if Honey Fungus would upset Morning Glory? (I think of it as a tree disease, but that could well be wrong)

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 18:14 »
no i dont think its honey fungus as they are white spots and i have done some research and it said its a kind of blight :unsure: would the climber not become woody over time and be able to support itself? ???

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 18:26 »
Ah, good point. A Clematis would get some fairly substantial stems over a few years and whilst I don't think it would be self-supporting it would probably not put as much strain on the old hedge plants.

Climbing / Rambling roses are floppy - so almost self-supporting.

probably others that are even better suited.

Could you get some straining wires, and some decent posts, into the hedge to provide extra support for the climber?

madcat

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 18:40 »
Thought - Escollonia is dead easy to strike cuttings - if the climber bought you a few years and there is still some green growth on the hedge, you could have your own whips ready to go in when it did collapse??   ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Anyone know what my hedge is?

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 14:34
by Ice
xx
New box hedge not doing well ..

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:11
by sion01
xx
A Big Hedge

Started by Glyn on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 20:20
by richyrich7
clip
Hedge help please.

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 10:34
by Blackpool rocket

Page created in 1.131 seconds with 36 queries.