Tomato Plants for Outdoor Growing

• 12 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Tomato Plants for Outdoor Growing
« on: March 17, 2010, 13:20 »
Hi Everyone,
Yesterday I sowed my seeds in trays and have them under a propogator lid in my conservatory. They are San Mazano and I intend to put them out on the plot when they are ready. Last year we had about 70 plants which we use to make lots of Passata to use all year.

I am begining to worry as last year my Father inlaw did them for us and we just did the easy bit and planted them in the plot. Now I have read that I should have done them ages ago for them to be ready to plant in May. Have I left it too late???  :(

gillie

Re: Tomato Plants for Outdoor Growing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 13:22 »
No.  You have loads of time for outdoor tomatoes.  In fact you might be a bit soon.  (I have  not sown mine yet).

Gillie

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 13:27 »
Thank goodness for that, or, damn i'm too early!
The article i read said late winter sowing!??!
 Do you think I should have a back up pack and sow a bit later then? When is the right time?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 15:36 »
All my spares go outside, whether they are supposed to or not, some in the ground and some in pots....they either do well or don't! As you have a conservatory you can grow them on in there till the end of May, as long as there is enough light they should be OK.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 17:23 »
Your only problem, I reckon, is going to be the size of the plants by the time they are safe to move outside after the last frost  :happy:

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:39 »
What do you mean kristen? Are you saying they will be too big? When is the right time for us down south east th sow, I will happily start again if I am told  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:51 »
It is not too early to sow them, as long as you have plenty of room to keep them as they grow bigger. The plants take up a lot of room once potted on and growing that's all.

Unless you can cloche them they won't be able to go outside untill May, so where are you going to keep them in the meanwhile?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:56 »
They will get pretty big by the time you can safely put them out. Its not a problem, you can pot them on (into larger pots), and starting them early means that they will start fruiting early too, but they may take over your conservatory!

I reckon they will need 6" pots by the time they can go out, say, middle to end of May. If you want 70 plants .... in 6" pots ... that's quite a lot of space!

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:03 »
Ah, thanks MOS, you are quite close to me so I can take that as gospel! :)
Well my father in law always started his in the conservatory then on into the greenhouse, then the plot.
I have purchased one of those four tire green houses from Wilkos, so was going to pop them all in that then harden off gradually until ready to go outside. Does that sound ok to you? Thanks

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:10 »
Yes Kristen, I get what you are saying now. I don't want my conservatory completley taken over that's for sure! Thinking about it now sure how the hell my FIL did it as he grew about the same for his plot as well!
As I just said to MOS, I have brought a 4 tier cheap greenhouse from Wilko so I am hoping to shove them all out there! Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 12:26 »
Ah, thanks MOS, you are quite close to me so I can take that as gospel! :)
Well my father in law always started his in the conservatory then on into the greenhouse, then the plot.
I have purchased one of those four tire green houses from Wilkos, so was going to pop them all in that then harden off gradually until ready to go outside. Does that sound ok to you? Thanks

Mine go out into a polycarb g/h but they are covered over with fleece/bubble wrap as well when frost is forecast.
You would definately need to cover one of those little plastic g/h with something, or bring them all back in at night as they don't hold any warmth :(

Good luck

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:44 »
If you conservatory is not heated you could put the 4-tier in there for the moment, to give the small plants a bit more warmth - unzip it when the sun comes out otherwise the plants will be cooked :(

If the conservatory is heated then you'll have big plants pretty soon! In which case you could put them out in the 4-tier in a sheltered spot (the cooler temperature will slow them down), but I wouldn't put them out until air temperature is 10C and I would bring them back in at 5pm, or 6pm latest.

I reckon that Toms "stall" (and take a while to get going again) if they are subjected to temperatures below 10C - so best to try to avoid that.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 14:22 »
Thank you. Have taken that all on board and will be giving it my best shot.  Lots of things I hadn't taken into consideration so thanks very much! Now to acquire lots of 6" pots  ::)

xx
Good tomato varieties for outdoor growing

Started by salixer on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 08, 2022, 18:58
by Mr Rotavator
xx
growing tomato plants

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 20:00
by Growster...
xx
Tomato plants not growing

Started by kimmy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 15:22
by Trillium
xx
Pruning growing tip of young tomato plants

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 19, 2021, 11:50
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.899 seconds with 30 queries.