Where do I begin?

• 4 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Where do I begin?
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:35 »
I am new to this site and newish to vegetable gardening, and have just moved to North Staffordshire from North Yorkshire, where we have a big enough garden for me to grow a few veggies and some fruit.

However, there are only the two of us (with daughter, OH and baby nearby) so we don't need HUGE amounts of vegetables. I would love some salad potatoes, runner beans, courgettes, strawberries etc but only need a few plants of each and all the garden centres and suppliers seem to supply things like potatoes in large quantities. I reckon I only need about three potato plants!!! We have also tested our soil and it comes out slightly acidic.

So two questions here:

Does anyone know where I should look to buy smaller quantities of things without it costing a fortune (packets of seeds are not a problem, its things like potatoes etc.)

And, are there certain varieties of vegetables and fruit which grow well (or less well) on soil which is slightly acidic?

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
Re: Where do I begin?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43 »
Im not going to comment on soil types as im new aswell but for cheap bags of onions and spuds id look no further than wilkos if you have one local :DThey do ideal bags of spuds in there with only about 10 seed potatoes in!

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52 »
Thanks - didn't know we had a store near us but I see there is one in Crewe. Will go and have a look. I could at least split a bag of 10 potatoes between my little plot and a few containers which I can give to DD and DSIL to grow in their backyard!

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:59 »
http://www.moreveg.co.uk/   This company supply seeds in small quantities usually only 50p each. Wilko and Aldi and other outlets are often much cheaper than that for bigger quantities. Remember that many seeds last for years. Get John's book Veg Growing month by month  it has a chart showing expected shelf life of most common seeds.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:26 »
Oooooh! I forgot we have an Aldi nearby!!! Never had one where I used to live so I tend to forget about them. I will have a look in there tomorrow when I visit my daughter. Thanks for the link too. Looks interesting. Hmmmm, I am having too many ideas about what to grow - think my vegetable plot needs to be bigger now - OH had better watch out or I will be taking over his "parks and gardens" plot! :tongue2:

xx
Where to begin?

Started by Jetsmaw on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 16:59
by Goosegirl
xx
How to begin?

Started by Nedski on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 19:05
by mumofstig
xx
Let the chitting begin..

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 20:09
by AndyRVTR
xx
New allotment - where do we begin?

Started by seayork2002 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 37 queries.