my baby girl being bullied

• 2 Replies

nessa egg

my baby girl being bullied
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:29 »
hi everyone and thanks for taking time to read this.

I have a 21 week old leghorn called nessa. ive had her for 2 weeks, this is when i started keeping chickens and since then i have added to her with a leghorn rooster which i bought on the same day and 5 hybrid hens.
One of the hybrid hens called Polly is 17 months and is really bullying nessa  :(
everytime nessa tries to eat or have a drink Polly is pecking her and shooing her away so now nessa has stop trying.
Im getting a little concerned as now Nessa has a limp, im not sure if this has been done by Polly.
What do i do?
If i try and keep them apart i fear that they will never get along  :(

Could someone please advise me

thank you so much

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: my baby girl being bullied
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:22 »
Remove the bully so that she is in sight but cannot join in with the others (a dog pen is suitable) - she could sleep in the original coup at night but just needs removing first thing in the morning if you don't have a seperate accomodation. This will make her lose her place in the pecking order, it may take a couple of weeks. Also make sure that you have more than one feeder and drinker - she cant guard both at the same time  :lol:. If this fails then buy a beak clip - these are available through the internet from the domestic fowl trust, and this will allow her to eat, drink but not peck feathers
Keep anti pecking spray or there is another thing called ukadex (very smelly stuff) and purple spray handy just in case.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nessa egg

Re: my baby girl being bullied
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 13:29 »
Thank you for your advice, i wasnt sure which one to separate the bully or the baby.
Its really sad to see it.. x

xx
Bullied hen

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 08:21
by Sassy
sad
bullied hen !!!

Started by Gezza on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 22:59
by Gezza
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by AbbyB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2024, 20:09
by jaydig
xx
Bullied hen ?

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 15:19
by ANHBUC

Page created in 1.221 seconds with 29 queries.