sick cockerel

• 7 Replies

bluecharlie

sick cockerel
« on: March 16, 2010, 21:30 »
Hello everyone,i am new to this site and am so impressed by everyone being so friendly and helpful,
i feel sure you can all offer me advise,my lovely blue silkie cockerel Charlie,6 months old, had become a pain by constantly crowing ALL day,after a few days he lost his crow! but then started to wheeze really loudly and gasping for breath,he continued to eat well and was still active (especially with the girls!) and no other symptoms, the vet diagnosed laryngitous and gave Baytril,is this a common illness? or is something brewing? the hens all seem ok

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: sick cockerel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 21:37 »
welcome to the site bluecharlie! i dont know if its a  common problem - ive not heard of that before but baytril is an effective antibiotic i believe - someone will be along soon to advice you. what breeds do you keep?  lucyloux

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33 »
He may have strained himself. Do you have more than one cockerel? How long has he been on the antibiotics? After this he may settle down and crow less. Unfortunately some cockerels do crow all day whilst others just at morning and evening. 3 of mine crow all day (competing against each other ::)) but the other 2 very little.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bluecharlie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 19:10 »
Hi All, He is a blue silkie and i have 3 white silkie hens,just as pets but we have become addicted and would like to keep others too,
he has been on Baytril for 3days now,and has attempted to crow again so he must be feeling a little better now,still wheezing tho

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 21:25 »
keep him on the baytril for 7 days even if he seems better.

bluecharlie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 21:33 »
thanks joyful i will call the vet tomorrow to get some more baytril,he seems better but still a bit wheezy

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 22:17 »
Laryngitis is just the name which describes the symptoms.  It basically means inflamation of the vocal cords which can be caused by several upper respiratory tract infections.   The breathing difficulty and wheezing is a common sign of chronic respiratory disease or CRD or mycoplasmosis or MG and this is the likely cause.  Infectious Bronchitis is another respiratory disease commonly found in chickens but which usually infect birds over 2 years old.  Baytril should be effective against CRD however as the description suggests it is a chronic disorder and your cockerel will be a carrier for life even without symptoms.  Recurrent outbreaks can be expected during periods of stress such as moult.  You shouldn't breed from this bird or put it with uninfected or birds which haven't been vaccinated for CRD.

Make sure you don't use powders and dusts in the house which will only cause further iritation of the respiratory tract.  Do some googling on CRD or Mycoplasma MG for further information on this condition.  See http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm

Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

bluecharlie

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 21:04 »
many thanks hillfooter for that info,am gutted that he is sick and may get this problem again,he is such fun and a real charachter,dont want to lose him so will do what i can,thanks again

xx
Help please really sick cockerel i don't want to lose him

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 16:47
by joyfull
xx
cockerel?

Started by foxi loxi on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 14:36
by foxi loxi
xx
new cockerel

Started by tim on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 09:09
by tim
xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 38 queries.