re: two allium questions (and that's shallot... :-) )

• 7 Replies

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
A friend said not to bother with sets and that if I just went down to the greengrocers and bought some shallots and planted them in a tub then more shallots would grow from that. Do people think this would work?

My second question is: am I too late for this year? I'm in TW, Kent and the sun is shining so I think we've hit spring for good now...

PS Many apologies for the awful pun in the subject title - I just couldn't resist!!  ::)
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

bigben

Re: re: two allium questions (and that's shallot... :-) )
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 14:33 »
It probably would work, the same for garlic, and spuds and it is cheaper than using seed garlic, spuds or shallots but you risk introducing infection into your soil. Seed garlic, spuds etc are sold certified disease free. This is not the case for stuff sold to be eaten and while you might save a bit by planting stuff bought at the greengrocers soil born diseases can be nasty and last ages.

regarding your second question, because of the recent cold weather,my shallots have not broken the surface yet. So you are probably still ok to get stuff planted.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 15:13 »
Thanks for the advice, I might play it safe and get some sets then. It's only my first time growing them and I don't want to put myself off   :unsure:

I'll plant them this weekend  :)

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 18:26 »
The other 'problem' with using greengrocer bought sets is that often you don't know the variety. Then if you really really like them, you can't identify them and source them again next time.

I agree that it's not too late to plant - I put some Golden Gourmet in 2-3 weeks ago and they haven't pushed up any green shoots yet. I'm going to plant some more soon.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 18:48 »
Leaving aside the possibility of introducing infection to your plot, I'm intrigued as to how much you paid for your "greengrocer" shallots (I always thought that shop-bought were (relatively) large and expensive, shallots for planting are smaller and quite cheap!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 20:16 »
Also, shallots are shallots, not onions. If you want the taste of onions then plant onion sets. If you want the flavour of shallots, then plant shallot sets. :D

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 21:46 »
........... I put some Golden Gourmet in 2-3 weeks ago and they haven't pushed up any green shoots yet. I'm going to plant some more soon.

Mine went in 41/2 months ago and most have only shown in the last few days and some still aren't up. The bulbs are still firm so I haven't given up hope. Only one or two out of over 60 have gone soft and been pulled out.

I had a load of small shallots left from last season. I thought they were too small as seed shallots and I couldn't be bothered peeling them for pickles. For fun I put them in modules and now have 70 rooted and shooted plants which look as good as those sown last Autumn. I've planted them along my row of new apple trees. Don't think the new trees will take too much from them and vice versa. Don't think I'll bother with Autumn planting this year.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:20 »
Thanks to all for the help. I will play safe and buy a couple of sets.  :)

Will definitely be planting shallots, not onions. That's been the plan all along if I didn't make that clear :D I only have a small space so the smaller veg is, the better. And I was a chef for a long time and always found shallots more useful. And tastier. Ideally banana shallots but I might take JohnB47's lead and plant Golden Gourmet - they sounds pretty good. Will have to do some research today  :D

@JayG - the local greengrocer is a friend. He had some lovely small shallots and if I give him a wink he always gives me a discount ;)

xx
Shallot questions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2018, 20:41
by oldgrunge
xx
Shallot questions

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 13:23
by JohnB47
xx
Chitting potatoes and shallot questions ?

Started by Chris C on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 07:47
by DD.
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by Leafydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 16:54
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 37 queries.