Tomatoes going leggy already?

• 18 Replies

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomatoes going leggy already?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 17:01 »
From your pictures, they are a bit lankier than I would like.  One of the problems is the soil has settled after filling the pots, so they spend the first inch of their life looking for sunlight.  Always ensure your soil is well tamped down.

Pot them on in as deep pots as possible (bit not that much wider), if push comes to shove, pot them on in loo roll innards, and bury almost up to the seed leaves.

A plastic fork (free from airlines/ready meals etc) is a great tool for holding the tomato seedings whilst you dib and plant.

They are certainly saveable, and probably a lot better than the ones people buy for 99p in a garden centre.

I try to pot my tomatoes on a s a p, it leads to a thicker stem, maybe a trowel full of manure a few inches from the bottom of the pot, but not too much, manure = lots of leaves, whereas you are looking for fruit.

After they have reached about 2 foot high I take out between 1/2 and 1/3 of the bigger leaves, this lets the air ventilate and leaves less room for bugs and humid loving viruses to dwell.

lacewing

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 17:39 »
I always keep my tomatoes a little on the dry side until they go into their final pots. I find it helps to stop the plants growing away getting leggy.  Water as normal after final planting.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

UrbanG

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 18:08 »
Hi rhysdad,

You potted yours 6 days later then I did (I planted mine 01/03)
Below are a few pics of mine 17 days in. They are roughly 2" high and the true leaves are just coming through.

http://www.picupine.com/9f76165x

I planted mine in pots in compost and left on the window sill where their is about a 17degree day time temp and a 7degree night time temp. I lightly spray water them daily.
I am new to my veg garden this year so I am also still learning.

In fact, to all other members, I'm new, so expect an introduction and a few problem posts of my own over the next few days  :)

Oh I have some chickens and a greenhouse this year as well  :)

UrbanGardener Scott
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 22:44 »
My "leggy" toms had an accident today....the cat knocked the whole tray off the sill and I didn't notice for hours so they were dried up or crushed.
I've managed to save some of each and have buried them deeper. Fingers crossed they survive!
I'm sure that mog knew they were the expensive Sungold!!!

xx
Leggy tomatoes

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 19:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
Leggy tomatoes & peppers

Started by Nana1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2018, 21:25
by Nana1
xx
Leggy greenhouse tomatoes

Started by Turnba on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 00:22
by Headgardener22
question
Leggy seedlings

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 11:25
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.611 seconds with 29 queries.