what do you give your chucks

• 4 Replies

dakota

« on: May 31, 2007, 19:29 »
Do you give  cod liver oil,I read that its good for chucks,can some one confirm if it is,and also how often do you give it,and what dose? also apple cider vinegar,how often and dosage.
                                           Cheers Edward

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 20:23 »
Cod liver oil contains lots of vitamin D which is required for absorption of calcium from the gut and hence, egg shell production.

A tiny amount occasionally will be good for them, but be careful, too much oil/fat will hinder uptake of Ca and can damage the liver.

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 21:10 »
i gave my hens drops of cod liver oil in their water, in the winter, it helped slightly with the realease of eggs, but other than that it was terrible, the oil would get down their throats and all over their bodies somehow, 6 months later and a few of them still have the mucky stains on their feathers, my advise is be extremely careful when you administer this stuff, i would say goving them the capsules would be better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 21:26 »
I give mine cod liver by dropping it onto bits of bread no problems them eating that  :wink:  I give them one capsule between 3 birds about every month. By capsule I mean a human tablety thing, cheap from wilko's.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 22:07 »
Not sure myself about cod liver oil - but I do use ACV -around half a cup per gallon of water. I use it as a boost to their immune system particulary in bad weather also as a tonic for their gut. It is recommended one week in four.  Make sure you get the "cloudy" stuff though. Hope this is useful. Mind you I am skeptical about all these vits and stuff as I think that chickens have quite simple needs and scavenge for anything else. I guess in my grandmothers' day chickens survived on kitchen scraps and whatever else they could find! :wink:

xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp
xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo
xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli
xx
new chucks

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 20:00
by Tony H

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 35 queries.