Container growing beginner needs help

• 3 Replies

mp5684

Container growing beginner needs help
« on: March 12, 2010, 21:33 »
Hi,
  I'm interested in beginning growing my own vegetables in containers but I need some help. Do I need to start the seeds in a separate container before I transplant them to their final container? Or can I germinate the seeds in one container and keep them in the same container for the plant's life? Also, I'm interested in growing tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, eggplant and maybe some other veggies. How many seeds or plants per container should I place? Thanks.
     Mark

solway cropper

Re: Container growing beginner needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 22:04 »
Container growing is a very large topic and would take a long time to answer fully. If you look at the top of the page you'll see the search function. Type in 'container growing' and you'll get loads of useful links which should help to answer your questions. I've been growing veg in containers as well as the plot for years and it's very satisfying. It allows me to control the growing conditions more than the open ground and gives me earlier and later crops as I also have a grenhouse. Good luck.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 22:07 »
And dont want to sound like Im pushy, but this is a cracker. Very helpful indeed

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 22:09 »
John has just bought out a new book which is all about growing in small spaces - it comes with a selection of free seeds suitable for container growing (subject to availability) so perhaps buying this may be useful  :)

drat just realised peapod beat me to it  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 22:12 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Container growing

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2017, 17:44
by Robster
xx
container growing

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 14:20
by Yorkie
xx
Container growing

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 20:05
by Ann
xx
container growing

Started by sathya on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 14:06
by kezlou

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 28 queries.