Digging manure in.

• 3 Replies

maxie

• Experienced Member
Digging manure in.
« on: March 12, 2010, 16:11 »
I always manure the garden when i dig it over,i put some in the bottom of each row as i dig them then turn the next row on top of it.
But its a time consuming way to dig the plot over and i was wondering how others do it,my father just used to spread it all over the top then dig it like that.
Any other ways to speed it up?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Digging manure in.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 16:54 »
I think what you are doing is "best".

I have lazy beds (raised beds, but no retaining timber etc) and they were plough and rotavated when made (would have liked to have hand dug them but too big an area, and too little time, at the time.

Now they are never walked on, and rotted manure is spread on the surface in the Autumn (not on area for Roots) and the worms pull it in. Potatoes are put into a trench, which is given a layer of rotted  manure at the bottom, and I make quite a mess when I harvest Leeks and Parsnips, but other than that I don't dig. The soil is becoming nice an open (the soil is clay, and the beds have been there for 3 years now)

So that might be "another way"? Still worth doing a proper double-dig at least at the beginning IMHO.

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 17:22 »
if your not going to walk all over it i would just dig into the top 6in and the worms will do the rest it will make it easier but what you are doing is great as well .my back wont take heavy digging so im gradually changing to non dig raised beds wich means you put manure compost and dig it into top 6 in buut you only walk on it if need be to dig most of which is done from either side of bed.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 18:31 »
i rake it roughly over then turn it in with the Rotavator :D

xx
digging manure in Jan??

Started by donkeyrobber on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 00:24
by Kristen
xx
Manure - Digging in

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 08:58
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
digging in manure

Started by Neil Doncaster on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 18:13
by Neil Doncaster
xx
Digging in green manure

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 08:14
by Coach

Page created in 0.793 seconds with 36 queries.