Derris for sale?

• 30 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Derris for sale?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 16:22 »
what a load is sh.... theres no links with parkinsons! no more than the fumes from your car! its a load of ballony e.u rules going over board as usual  :lol:

Maybe that's another good reason for me to stick with my bike!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 16:30 »
"Derris has been used for many years as a pesticide but this is now off the list. The reason being that one paper was published showing possible neurological effects from using a chemical from the same family. Not derris itself, just something from the same family.

There’s still chemical pesticides on the market, but not the simple, cheap derris."

just a quote from this sight a while ago.

Alby
wish I was a cat

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 16:33 »
It is amazing how, over time, our collective knowledge of chemicals, the environment and medical matters changes / improves our understanding of what is good for us and what isn't.

I'm still happy to be cautious and guided...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 16:34 »

Salmo is right it's indiscriminate if nothing else you should not use it for the sake of the bee's etc.

Whether or not it's good bad or whatever, it's banned and as such the forum cannot and does not advocate the use of it.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

penance

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 16:43 »
what a load is sh.... theres no links with parkinsons! no more than the fumes from your car! its a load of ballony e.u rules going over board as usual  :lol:

Yes there is, plenty of rotenone experiments have been performed on animals, mainly rats. It can produce parkinson model in rats.

No offence but i would suggest you do some research before making sweeping statements.

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 16:50 »

Yes there is, plenty of rotenone experiments have been performed on animals, mainly rats. It can produce parkinson model in rats.

No offence but i would suggest you do some research before making sweeping statements.

thing is the link is in chronic exposure and the rats were injected with a high consentration of rotenone. not your every day gardener spaying weak doses two to three times a year. its like saying sucking on an exhaust will kill you.

penance

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 16:51 »
I think you are just trying to justify your use of an illegal product.

A link is a link irrespective of your opinion.

Sucking on an exhaust will kill you, poor comparison.

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 16:56 »

sorry to dissapoint but i dont use any chemicals (apart from growmore!) on me allotment!  :D if bugs want to have a nibble they can as long as a divint see them otherwise they meet me thumb and fore finger!  :lol:

penance

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 19:17 »

sorry to dissapoint but i dont use any chemicals (apart from growmore!) on me allotment!  :D if bugs want to have a nibble they can as long as a divint see them otherwise they meet me thumb and fore finger!  :lol:

Same as me.
So why be so vocal about derris?

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 20:19 »
because the e.u and health and safety go to far sometimes  :(

DavidT

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 20:31 »
Use
In the UK, rotenone products are approved for use against aphids on flowers, ornamentals, protected crops, soft fruit, top fruit, and vegetables, and against sawflies in gooseberries, and slug sawflies in pears and roses(12).
    Very little rotenone is used in commercial fruit and vegetable production in the UK. The average annual total – all crops – is just three kilograms, used to treat 93 hectares. Since 1983, the minimum area treated annually was 22 hectares in 1985/86, and the maximum was 165 hectares in 1991(13). No data is collected for amateur usage, and total stocks for amateur products (in garden sheds and amongst wholesalers and retailers) are likely to be considerably greater than for professional use.
    Other target organisms of rotenone include maggots, bagworms, codling moths, Japanese beetles, leaf hoppers, Mexican bean beetles, cabbage worms, thrips, stinkbugs, flea beetles, and vegetable weevils(14).
    The UK Environment Agency, responsible for granting licences for the use of noxious substances for the taking or destroying of fish, under the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975, and rotenone is by far the most common chemical used for this purpose(15).

This is what I got when I googled derris.

penance

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 20:39 »
because the e.u and health and safety go to far sometimes  :(

I reckon the E.U. and HSE are blamed for an awful lot more than they actually do.

Not saying that is the case with Derris though.

While I can see your argument against pointless restrictions I do think chemicals such as Derris should not be so over used as it was.

DavidT

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 20:43 »
Penance, are you sure you are not confusing Derris with DDT?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 21:05 »
Flea Beetle
This pest is worst on radishes but can affect turnips and swedes as well. It is a small beetle that jumps when disturbed, hence the name 'flea beetle' The beetle eats holes in the leaves which weaken the plant as with less leaf area to produce food for the plant it cannot grow as well.

You can spray with a pesticide such as Derris. The active ingredient is rotenone which is made from tropical plant extracts. It is organically approved but you could try an alternative strategy from Bob Flowerdew.

I copied this statement from this website under "Brassica Pests and Problems".

If Derris is banned!! Why does this website still advise the use of? :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 21:14 »
Probably because with the thousands of members to moderate, several books to write, and countless pages to keep updated, sometimes things get missed, glosterboy  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Derris

Started by Kanute on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 11:26
by peterjf
xx
Derris

Started by allanpilgrim on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 08:55
by Kristen
xx
Anyone Still Using Derris ?

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 18:24
by Yorkie
xx
What alternative to Derris?

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 22:20
by galen

Page created in 0.679 seconds with 36 queries.