A question for the Pea Brigade

• 13 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
A question for the Pea Brigade
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:45 »
First time pea grower this year and I have a typically newbie question...

From what I have read, I can be sowing my first earlies now but, much as I am gagging to get going, something tells me I should hang fire - we've had frosts every morning for most of this week in Manchester and I guess we can expect more...

So, my question is, obviously, would it be more sensible to hold back until April?

lesley1322

Re: A question for the Pea Brigade
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16 »
I would be interesting in knowing when everyone else is putting their peas in as i too have read they can go in now...

Here in leicester we've not had a frost for a few days (as far as im aware) and i'm hoping they are gone for good... (heres to hoping anyway)

Does anyone recommend starting in modules or paper pots as the peas i did last year were munched by slugs as soon as they raised their heads out of the soil?

(sorry for hyjacking your thread)
:)

scabs

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18 »
 :D

No probs, I eagerly await the replies!

bigben

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28 »
As someone with the vast experience of growing peas once! My experience last year was as follows:
I planted some in guttering in a cold frame with a view to slide it into its position once it had got started- came back the next week to see a row of tiny holes where mice had dug up each one!

I then soaked some in water overnight and planted them direct around early March. To hedge my bets I planted a load in paper pots indoors- they came up really well, while the stuff sown direct did not show. After a week or two I planted the stuff in pots and the direct stuff started to show. I made the mistake of not getting support in early enough and perhaps because it was bigger, the stuff in pots got blown around and suffered while the small direct stuff did ok and had support waiting for it when it came up. It ended up doing much better then the stuff in paper pots.

My neighbour tells me she always tries to get her peas started early to avoid the dreaded pea moth. One or two of mine suffered towards the end of the harvesting but most were ok. I plan on getting some in within the next couple of weeks this year. I will have support in place this time.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:06 »
Scabs, Last year I chitted mine first on damp kitchen towel, this saved me planting non viable peas. This was done early April when it was warmer and I had a very good crop. This year I have about 700 plants to grow and will be doing the same thing again, but because the winter and ground were so cold it will be done late April this year. By the way, how did you get on with the Tomato plants last year?

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

scabs

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15 »
Robbo!!!

I was trying to remember your user name all last summer! Really well, mate thanks! The bush variety had a really intense flavour and the beefsteak were superb (I got a load of comments on their size from fellow plotholders!) I thought the Robeson was a bit watery, but they did well too.

Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciated it! Lots more seeds for the greenhouse now, so let me know if I can return the favour! How's your garden getting along?

Andrew

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00 »
If you sow peas when the soil is cold and it rains heavily before they germinate they will rot. Once they have germinated the wet will not hurt them but if they are only growing slowly they are vunerable to millepedes and other biting bugs in the soil. Slugs will not appear until the soil warms up..... but then they will eat them. That is if the mice have not stolen them.

Although sunny days and frosts make some difference what is important is the soil temperature of the soil at sowing depth and below where the roots will develop. The soil at 4 inches down is currently 5 degrees on my plot. You probably need 8 or 10 before growth speeds up. Warm rain soon warms the soil to depth.

So, either wait a while, or put cloches over the soil for a few days to warm the soil. When you have sown them put the cloches back on the warm the soil some more and to keep any rain off until they have germinated. Frosts will not usually affect emaerged plants. Cultivating the soil lightly with a fork will also help to warm the soil.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 14:25 by Salmo »

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07 »
Hi Scabs, glad you had a good crop from them. This year I will be growing 20 of the bush tomato's (Sprite) and 10 of the beefsteak Giant Belgium, they were both definitely the best I have tasted. I have cleared to the bottom of my garden now so twice as much area for my veg this year.

Robbo.

scabs

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:11 »
Salmo,

Thanks for the info, I'll start warming the soil tomorrow.

Robbo,

That was it, Giant Belgium... Lovely.

Cheers pal, let me know how you get on this year; I loved your tomato house!

davethespread

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 13:35 »
im a pea first-timer this year,ive put some kelvedon wonder in the lottie under fleece :unsure: i have my fingers crossed,but im a bit worried now reading this thread :(
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 15:05 »
I plant out pretty much the same time as UKrs but I wouldn't put my peas out until the start of April as its just too cold in the soil until then. Peas do prefer generally cooler weather but the seeds sitting in cold soil don't. For me April is still cool enough yet with a bit more sun and when the soil temp is right for the peas, they take off like rockets and I eat my peas the same time as DD  :D

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 16:03 »
I always set mine off in guttering in the greenhouse but ive not set them off yet.
You can be too keen to get them in but they always seem to catch up to each other,mid april would be soon enough direct into the ground for me in cumbria.

goodegg

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 17:37 »
i allways grow mine in root trainers but you could plant them in paper pots or grow tubes which is paper pots with out the bottom mine are 3 ins high but they are grown in the greenhouse for planting in the greenhouse later i grow some to plant outside but allways start them of in trainers or grow tubes i have been caught out so many times with poor germination at least you know how many plants youve got like this.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 18:05 »
Trill is spot on the money - March if we are lucky, but well....we arent this year  :( So wait till the soil warms up. 

(even though I did plant some earlies last week  :blush: )
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 36 queries.