Aubs question

• 9 Replies

prakash_mib

Aubs question
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:44 »
I put some Aubs seeds in feb and out of 11 pots one emerged. tried to furtle and found the seeds sitting dumb inside.
Cleared them and chitted some in kitchen towel in airing cupboard and put them in pots and two weeks now all i can see is a bent green thingy trying to emerge. Is it  a normal time for aubs to grow slow and late. bit frustrating though
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Aubs question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 13:10 »
They certainly are a bit more demanding than tomatoes..that's for sure :(

IMO they need to be somewhere really quite warm to germinate and somewhere that stays quite warm after that. Mine were started in a propagator and although now potted on to 3inch pots they are still standing in the open propogator and still not looking particularly happy!

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 13:25 »
My aubergines all germinated in 4 days and I'm still waiting for most of my toms, lol. They like it warm, I germinated on kitchen roll, they left the posts somewhere warm until the green bit popped up before moving to the window sill for light. Do you have a lid/bag over the pots? If they get to dry the seed case doesn't come off so well.

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 13:35 »
thinking of putting the tray on the radiater overnight (heated propagator.... thats what I do)
But scared that they all have already germinated and trying to pop out but dont want to.
Bit like my son during my wifes labour  (:ohmy: I said that loud... didnt I)

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 14:50 »
i put mine on my front window cill ,very sunny and just above the radiator :)they were up in about a week :) :)

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 14:52 »
Would anyone mind if I asked another Aub question? how big do the plants grow I have a plastic greenhouse just wondered how many plants I will be able to keep in there?

Thanks
Missye

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 14:57 »
we bought a plant last year and it grew quite tall about 40 cm if you think how big the fruits can get them i suppose they can get very big.im growing from seed this year and am lucky to have a greenhouse :)

noshed

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 16:43 »
It doesn't end with the germination either. I got some plants going one year, nurtured them. They grew OK but the aubergines were tiny. Having said that, all the experts on our site grow quite big stripy ones and small black ones (on different plants obviously). They need a sunny spot and a long growing season - so this might not be a good year.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 18:04 »
I bought my plant in may and even tho it flowered it never had any friut set .so figured if i get my seeds in early i may do better  :)heres hoping anyway  :unsure:  they look good and strong at the moment  :)

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 19:19 »
I'm hoping for aubs too. I bought a small plant last year early summer and kept it in my protected back garden, & got some fruit off it. This year I've sown about 10 seeds, all currently indoors and couple of inches tall now with good-sized healthy looking true leaves out.  :D

xx
Pics of my Peppers, Toms & Aubs

Started by tam on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:29
by joyfull
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 38 queries.