Brassica abuse

• 9 Replies

oldcow

• Experienced Member
Brassica abuse
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:15 »
I'm a total newbie, so be gentle... I can find answers to good questions on this forum or googling, so the ones I'm going to post are likely to be the stupid ones...
I have started some brassicas indoors (calabrese, tendergreen broccoli, some cabbage). I threw away almost all the first batch since they were too leggy. After reading the relevant posts here, the second batch was less mollycoddled, and it was kicked out of the (unheated) propagator and put under a large skylight as soon as the plants were visible (DD, before you say something, I'm using the tinfoil method, which got some derogatory "wife having a blue peter moment" comments from the hubby).
Now I have a second batch going, but they seem to be growing very, very  slowly. I know this depends on temperature/conditions/sunlight, but on average after how many weeks should the plants get 1/2/3 sets of real leaves? I also wonder if my putting them out a few days ago in the nice afternoon sun, and finding them "fainted" in totally dry soil a few hours later, might have stunted their growth. They recovered as soon as watered, buy hey who knows the scars that trauma can leave in a brassica's psyche... I read somewhere that plants that have experienced that might not be very productive. Should I cull this batch too and restart? I feel a bit like Herod at the moment...
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but seeing the big healthy calabrese plants at the garden centre yesterday made me wonder if my babies might be some big time underachievers...

goodegg

Re: Brassica abuse
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46 »
if they are growing slowly that is good they will wilt if they are dry but be careful not to over water them if they flaged form dryness and you watered them they should be fine just keep an eye on them for a couple of days and dont put them outside if its blowing that will dry them keep them in the light and warm but not hot or cold

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:58 »
I put the brassicas tray with lid on straight outside three weeks ago. (after my cabbages gone leggie indoors). No mollycoddle whatso ever. and have opened the lid and have put them in fleece frame. Bad thing is I've put broc, cabbage and cauli in a single tray and forgot to name them. They will certainly give me a surprise if any produce a heart.
Right
in three division one has green coty leaves and other is deep purple in sprout. hard to notice them with compost colour. the third division is silent up until now.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:18 »
which got some derogatory "wife having a blue peter moment" comments from the hubby).

Well, as a fellow newbie, I was glad to read your post and will keep an eye on the answers too. So thank you and welcome to the site.

Plus, I hope your husband doesn't have copyright on "Blue Peter moment"? I might borrow it from time to time to use on my partner! He's a dab hand with improvised bits and bobs.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 14:54 »
me to snoop,epecially with empty washing up bottles&double sided sticky tape!! :lol:

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 17:36 »
Your brassicas really don't need molly-codling at all. Mine were sown in a cold greenhouse and have continued to live there ;)

¥

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 21:17 »
So these plants won't become unproductive because I let them wilt for a brief time, as I read somewhere? I think I can hear a big sigh of relief from them, after having their neck in line for the chop...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 23:49 »
If they are upright again I reckon they will be fine. Whether they would have done a little better if it hadn't happened I can not say - as pretty much all my plants get into that state at least one day in their life!

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45 »
Kristen, my brassicas have asked me to thank you for saving their lives.
I'm relieved...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21 »
Kristen, my brassicas have asked me to thank you for saving their lives.
I'm relieved...

Perhaps best not to tell them why you saved their lives!!   ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Brassica help please

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 16:56
by fatcat1955
xx
Brassica help please

Started by Starling on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 22:02
by Starling
xx
BRASSICA

Started by andyindevon on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:36
by Paul Plots
clip
Brassica help

Started by Truffle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 10:04
by al78

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 37 queries.