Witchetty grubs or witchetty spuds ?

• 10 Replies

Jeff Glanrhyd

• Jeff Glanrhyd
Witchetty grubs or witchetty spuds ?
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:17 »
Got these things at a seed swap in Llandeilo last weekend.
They are supposedly meant to be chitted, grown and eaten like a new potato, but have a lemony taste. I think I'll stick 'em in a large pot.
Thought I'd give them a go, but like the dummy I am, I have forgotten what they are called.
Does anybody know what they are, where they're from, what I do with them and if they taste any good ?!?
Grubs.jpg

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Re: Witchetty grubs or witchetty spuds ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35 »
Oca...pretty sure about that...mine are now chiiting away...plant out either late april, after fosts have past...or in large buckets/bags mid april , in a G/house.
They can be roasted boiled or even grated raw on salads or even stir fried.
Belive they origionate from Peru or somewhere like that in S/America..

Oh! and upon harvesting they need to be kept on a window cill or somewhere where the light/sun can get to them....something to do with the rippening of them...

Best of luck with them.... ;)

savbo

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:39 »
 :ohmy:

you learn something new every day!

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 17:05 »
Yep definatley oca
Never heard about chitting them before as they can shrivel up a bit if kept too warm. I just put mine in pots last year before transferring outside although they did take 1-2 months to come up. If growing them outside I'd recommend planting them so that you can easily fleece them as you need to keep them alive till mid-late november at least to get a decent crop.
Putting them on a windowsill in the sun helps change the taste from sharp and lemony to slightly sweeter but they can be eaten without that treatment if you prefer them sharper. The little ones (too small to cook) are nice when sharp as an alternative to radishes. Also try roasting with honey-YUM  :tongue2:

Jeff Glanrhyd

• Jeff Glanrhyd
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 18:40 »
God bless this forum.
Won't be able to sleep with excitement now.
Many thanks.
Diolch yn fawr. x

Jeff Glanrhyd

• Jeff Glanrhyd
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 19:19 »
One last question. what size pot and how many per pot? Cheers.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 21:17 »
I used 3" pots 1 per pot for some tubers and put the rest  in a tray of compost and removed once they have sprouted (they are easily handleable as the tuber seems to survive for ages after planting). However remember they are still very much an experimental crop in this country so there are no set rules all I can offer is my experience which may differ from other peoples'.
Also there may be regional differences in their behaviour-the Real Seed people reckon white ones do best for them in Wales whereas when I tried mixed colours up in the North East I found pink and red did much better than white (especially in pots).
Good luck and hope you enjoy them

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 21:26 »
Definately Oca.

I bought some this year, had never heard of them before, it's my new crop trial for this year. I've done a fair bit of reading up about them.

They originate in the Andes and are an Oxalis like the decorative plants and have the same type leaves and flowers. Once grown they can be eaten boiled, mashed or fried. Can also be eaten raw, sliced, where they have the texture of a water chestnut but with a tangy flavour.

They can be chitted like potatoes and potted up in 3" pots to bring on until frosts are over.
Planted out at about the same spacing as spuds. They grow a huge amount of foliage which eventually 'crashes', any stems that touch the round will root.

Keep growing as long as possible which may mean protecting from Autumn frosts.

Important Bit When eventually they do get frosted leave them alone. The tubers only swell significantly after the top growth is frosted. Leave for a few weeks then harvest like a potato. They appear to get swell their tubers from the dying top growth.

One downside is that they might release some chemical which might have a detrimental effect on the following crop. It might be a candidate for monculture.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 21:52 »
Mine are in three inch pots in the greenhouse and will be planted out alongside the runner beans late May or thereabouts

The children thought they were awesome little tubers and are hoping for a crop next winter (thanks jb  :D) Loved the pink ones best  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 09:25 »
Trikidike...has more or less said all there is to say about Oca...for the reason he/she has said , they may leave toxics or chemicals in the soil, is why I suggested growing them in buckets/bags...
as you would 1st early potatoes...this is what I've been advised to do by others who have grown them in past years....
Start them off in 3" pots transfere to larger flower bucket size, without disturbing the roots too much.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 15:08 »
Oca make a lovely ground cover (a pretty trefoil) so you might be happier planting on the OH's flower garden than on your veg plot  - obviates the need of worring about inhibitors on your land!

The foliage is also edible, so a handful in a salad might be to your taste too.

SS

clip
What grubs are these?

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 20:53
by syks grower
xx
What are these grubs in my compost?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 22:23
by Annen
xx
grubs in our plums

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 19:01
by jezza
xx
Little white Grubs

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by Aidy

Page created in 5.278 seconds with 36 queries.