Help needed, Sick chick

• 9 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Help needed, Sick chick
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:43 »
I have two 4 week old blackrock chicks. 1 doesnt seem very well. I noticed yesterday that she was sleeping a lot, This morning she is hardly moving, Have moved her to food and water but she isnt eatting or drinking. Still chirping but doesnt seem well at all.

Any ideas? Im going to get a syringe (sp?) when i do the school run later to try and get some food and water into her, Is there any thing else i can do?

Hayley

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: Help needed, Sick chick
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:42 »
I rang the breeder who i got them from, She advised me to get Pepper (my chick) some natural yogurt. Sadly she died when i was at asda getting it for her  :( :( :(

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:39 »
aww that's so sad, did she have any symptoms? blood in poo, anything more to go on? keep a close eye on the other chick as what afflicts one chick can often be seen in others.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48 »
Nope, No blood. Nothing else other than me changing brand of chick crumbs, Could that have something to do with it? i hadnt noticed anything untowards until yesterday. Have spoken to breeder again, She has offered to replace Pepper but im not sure that I want another chick, Not yet anyway. But isnt it better for Ebony to have atleast 1 more in with her?

Have spent most of morning in tears, I didnt know it was possible to get so attached to a chick  :(

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00 »
So sorry to hear that pepper has died. I would have thought that it would be better to have another chick to go with Ebony to keep it company.

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:33 »
yes, get another one, it would be cruel to have one chick on it's own, it just sounds like bad luck with pepper, sometimes they do die for no apparent reason, i can't see changing the brand of chick crumb having any effect.
i bought 5 week old chicks of a guy yesterday, he was nearly in tears as he didn't want to part with them, his wife made him get rid of them, he had a thoughtful look on his face when i said "sell her"  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:35 by TMG »

Rubellite

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:55 »
Sorry to hear that  :(
I'd take the offer of a replacement, rather than getting one fron a different source, just in case it's contagious. Good luck.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15 »
yes, get another one, it would be cruel to have one chick on it's own, it just sounds like bad luck with pepper, sometimes they do die for no apparent reason, i can't see changing the brand of chick crumb having any effect.
i bought 5 week old chicks of a guy yesterday, he was nearly in tears as he didn't want to part with them, his wife made him get rid of them, he had a thoughtful look on his face when i said "sell her"  ::) ::) ::)

Thanks, Am going to get another 1 (maybe 2) either today or sunday.
I can understand the fella being tempted to sell the wife instead of the chicks  :lol:

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:16 »
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Im going to pick up another 1 or 2 either today or tomorrow, From the same place.

*fingers crossed* I wont have any more problems with the new chicks.

Hayley

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 14:45 »
Sorry only just came home for dinner and saw this :(
Sorry Pepper didn't make it :(
I take it she was still under heat?
Four weeks old is a bit young if your'e new to chickens, especially at this time of year (cold)

You are better getting another two rather than one.
Wish I could've been of more help :(

Spider

xx
help needed - sick sultan chick

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 14:20
by CMFAM
xx
Help advice needed Sick chick "I think"

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy
xx
Sick chick

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:12
by Manlea1
xx
sick chick

Started by wiggy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 19:37
by joyfull

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 36 queries.