Chilli for growing outside

• 12 Replies

bigben

Chilli for growing outside
« on: March 10, 2010, 14:54 »
Can anyone suggest a type of chilli that grows well outdoors as I dont have a greenhouse?

Last year I tried to grow some called demon red and they did badly inside, but when I put them outside they just stopped. This year I am growing a few types, Big Jim, Jalapeno and Golden something or other. The Jalapeno and Big Jim are already looking reasonably large compared to the one I tried last year. I have potted them fairly deep into  larger pots as they got a little bit leggy but would like to eventually put them outside once it warms up.

Anyone managed to grow these outside or can recommend a type that will grow?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Chilli for growing outside
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 14:58 »
I always grew tabbasco outside, but we do need a decent consistant summer where temps average around 65 ish.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 14:59 »
I grow a lot of chillis inside and grow toms inside both in polytunnels and under glass and many toms outside but I have never managed to get chillis or bell peppers to grow outside. We are North Lincs so much like you for climate I guess. Sorry I doubt it is possible but woudl love to be proved wrong.
R

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 15:06 »
Last year my rocotos did better outside than in so might be worth a try, though you may have to bring them in to ripen them as they require a long season so should have been strted off by now.
Also have you tried puuting fleece jackets over your plants to keep them a bit warmer, even duting the summer- the chilli guy in finland (fatalii) mentions doing this and if it works for him it should work in the UK  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 15:17 »
Try a variety called Nigel's Outdoor chilli from the Real Seed Company  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 15:19 »
I usually grow chillies and sweet peppers indoors but for the last few years have put spare plants outside in the sunniest, most sheltered spot I can find but they always run out of day-length, warmth, and given what the last few summers have been like, sunshine!

I'm sure they would have performed better in a good summer but it's clearly a gamble.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 17:03 »
I grow Demon Red. Fiercely hot pods. I grow them in small-ish pots (7" - 9") in a greenhouse and they are pretty weedy plants. I get a single harvest right at the end of the Summer ... so nothing really ripe until then. I then dry them and use them for the following 12 months.

So perhaps  they were perhaps not the most ideal variety for you? I doubt they would do much outdoors.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 17:20 »
Smaller podded,  annums are what you want.

Try something like Super Chilli F1 http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg-chilipepper1c.htm These should give you smaller peppers like the ones in the 3 pack from the supermarkets. I picked 100s of the year I grew them (2006 I think)

smilydog

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 18:42 »
Hi

I must admit that i have the benefit of being a fair bit further south, but here is my contribution

Over the last 3 years i have grown about 10 varieties of chill, and quite a few bell peppers outside, and even with the c**p summers recently, have had some good crops, most notably Inferno(T&M),  Rocoto(have done so well we use our own seeds now),  Lueschar Paprika(Nickys),  Pinocchios Nose(various suppliers) and DiArbol(again, now use our own seeds)

If you can give them a fairly sheltered spot, a fairly well drained soil, and dont pamper them too much, you should be in with a shout

Oh, and i never start them before the 2nd week in march, as they get too leggy and seem to suffer when planted out

All the best

Smilydog

Robbo43

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 21:07 »
I've been growing chillies both in a greenhouse and outside for many years now, and after much testing of various varieties, there are three I grow three outside every year:

Cheyenne (30 - 50,000 Scovilles) various suppliers including T&M and Nicky's Nursery
Jalapeño Early (2,500 - 5,000 Scovilles)  Nicky's Nursery
Thai Dragon (75,000 - 140,000 Scovilles) various suppliers including T&M

As wind can have a devastating effect, I protect them windbreak mesh.

The Cheyenne plants are particularly prolific, and the other two perform reasonably well; various hotter varieties that I've tried in the past didn't do well.

My location is about 40 miles north of Cambridge.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 23:08 »
they will grow outside but appreciate some cover. I use four old window frames screwed together with an old piece of glass on top. You can improvise!   :D

bigben

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 09:51 »
Thanks Robbo for your reply - you are almost a year after my initial posting but it is helpful. I bought some Jalapeno early and another type I think are called Nigels outdoor chillis from the real seed company. I am planning on starting them soon. I have started lemon drop, praire fire and another that I have forgotten but need to limit my windowsil space. I now have the use of a greenhouse but it is not heated so I dont want to be overrun with plants getting leggy on my windowsil.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:58 »
The chillies will be fine in an unheated greenhouse but not yet.  I start mine off in the house with bottom heat and keep them covered with a lid at night when the temp drops

As soon as the weather warms up they go out into the cold greenhouse.You can cover with fleece if it turns cold again. I did some fab chillies last year. Lemon Drop are brilliant!

Those four tier plastic greenhouses which are cheap as chips from Wilko can be placed inside the greenhouse to give you a warmer environment for the more delicate seedlings.  The growhouses come with a zip-up cover.

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Chilli growing help

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2020, 08:50
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Growing chilli's

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 20:01
by hightide
xx
Growing Chilli's

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 11:59
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 37 queries.