Rotten Purple Sprouting

• 9 Replies

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
Rotten Purple Sprouting
« on: March 09, 2010, 21:16 »
My psb have been looking a little sad for a while now, checking on them today I found that the stems seem to be rotting away.
     It's such a dissapointment because the seed packet said I could be harvesting from March and I've been waiting patiently.
     I'm thinking I may aswell chop them down now.
     Has anyone else had this problem and could it be down to the nasty cold winter we've had?  :(
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Rotten Purple Sprouting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 21:23 »
Mine so far are fine, my first thought is do you have clubroot? This may cause the rotting from the base by now. Pull one up and see if worms etc have burrowed in, with the cold they may of used them to keep them from the cold, one should give you an indication of whats going on.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 21:32 »
"pull one up", I only planted 4 Aidy and one of those died in the Autumn :(
     They seem to be rotting towards the top of the stem and the new forming sprouts look a little rotten too, leaves are well droopy.
     I may aswell pull the weekest one up i suppose because they don't look like they will recover.
     Just a thought but having planted them a couple of foot away from a hawthorn hedge could they be being starved of something?

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 00:06 »
A couple of my Rudolph PSB have gone the same. I think the frost has got into them. The later PSB are fine so perhaps their frost hardiness is suspect? Anyone else growing Rudolph?

They are supposed to crop Dec/Jan but did not start until Feb and have been producing in dribs and drabs since. Each time we get a few warmer days they produce more shoots.

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:14 »
Most of mine have rotted at the tops after the recent severe weather.
The ones that remain intact are struggling, but still alive and showing teh start of some spears. Here's hoping they mature OK.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:39 »
Cant remember my variety, but I had to pull the lot up after the snow crushed them, and then they started rotting as the thaw set in.  Real shame as they are delicious.  My rosemary and other shrubs in the flower border suffered similar fate.

Leason learned for next year: dont sit inside admiring the 1.5 feet of snow supping a cuppa, get out and clear it from my veggies and plants!

madcat

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47 »
Same happened to mine Kermit!  The snow squashed the netting and the plants flat and as it melted in came the pigeons and ate the green they could now get at.  Over several snow and melt sequences, exit all brassicas into flying rat tummies ...  Even the kale which they don't normally touch.  The stalks then just rotted off as the snow finally melted away ..... :mad: :mad:  (Winter leaves have been our big failure this year   :()
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 13:28 »
dont know if its a trait of the psb but i was given some to plant along withmy own greenand they did nothing compared with the green which did well i pulled up the psb in the end , just finished cropping all the winter gb it was lovley , sent hubby to get me a packet of replacement seeds he said they were expencive 5 euros for 100 which is more than i spend but they are profesional the man i the shop told him , we shall see .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 13:32 »
I gave a broc plant to the chooks this morning and the inside of the stem was brown and rotten. I think the stems have frozen solid too many times this winter, they are frost hardy but not frost proof.
The curly kale is still fine but they have woodier stalks.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 14:04 »
Inspected mine further today and came to the realisation they were not going to produce.
     They are now on my compost heap, not to say I shalln't try again next year because I shall but maybe look for an earlier variety perhaps.

xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
purple sprouting

Started by andymarginman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 20:31
by Muls
xx
Purple sprouting

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 16:16
by DD.

Page created in 0.791 seconds with 36 queries.