Do chickens like rain?

• 20 Replies

andy and deb

Re: Do chickens like rain?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 08:46 »
ours were in the rain all day yesterday and were drenched.  I must admit I thought this can,.t be good for them but they could have quite easily found shelter under our conifers or gone back into the coop but seemed to prefer getting wet looking for worms ect

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23 »
It has been hammering down here all day and my chickens are soaked. They have shelter and I even locked them back in but they started squawking to come out. Should I towel dry them before they go to sleep? I don't want them getting cold overnight.

Oh kirstie that's an adorable photo of a soggy silky! 

In warm weather I'm sure they will be fine, although in colder weather (or if she has a drafty coop) I would be tempted to take her to the hairdresser for a blow-dry before bed. 

I know if I went to bed with my hair like that I would look ghastly in the morning!  :blink:

bramford

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 17:56 »
our girls decided seeing as it was raining and the patio door was open they would come in the kitchen  ::)

kirstie1978

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 18:03 »
If it wasn't for my cat, the doors would be open and i'm sure given she likes to mud bath as well, i'd be getting frustrated at the foot prints all over the floor!

Thought that photo was good for a giggle, oddly enough the Black Orpington i have didn't look much different, But Flump definitely looked hysterical.... And yet again today she steals the spotlight... Attention seeker!!! :o)
Bug & Flump - muddy.jpg

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 19:39 »
Mine spent all day (or every time I looked anyway) yesterday outside in the pouring rain, their choice, the run and hut was all open for them, Ginger was having fun in the puddles/finding worms etc, Tallulah was going in and out of the bushes, and Astrid was just wandering around as usual.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 19:51 »
mine decided to stay out even though all doors were open and now they're all sniffle-y! i usually shut them in but they kicked up a huge fuss and i relented. now what do i do to stop them getting worse? lots of head shaking and sneezing going on...
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho
xx
Chickens in the rain

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 19:12
by nzdunn
xx
chickens in the rain

Started by Dominic on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 18:39
by evie2
xx
Do chickens like the Rain???

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 17:41
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 36 queries.