Sunny plot - what to grow

• 17 Replies

GreenOwl

Re: Sunny plot - what to grow
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 12:29 »
Have a look for fancy summer and winter squashes.  If courgettes grow well they should too.  Roast patty pan squash.... ummm.....

Things you can stir fry - mangetout, baby sweetcorn?

cooking radishes?

Sweet potatoes?

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 12:48 »
Even Oca...great in stir fries...instead of growing potatoes...can even use them raw, gratted in salads....just a thought.... ;)

Jagman2009

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 16:04 »
Hi there, I've been posting on here a bit after getting a half plot September last year and with this time of year I am planning my planting. I have no idea of what to grow and would like any suggestions of fruit and veg that is not found in the supermarkets or is expensive.

My plot is about 13 yards square I think, on a slight slope with gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes on the lower edge and 2/3rds up the side. At the end of that side in the corner are two large rhubard crowns. Other than those the plot is empty. I do have two and a half rows of onions and half a row of garlic in from October (japanese onions I think). These are to the other side extending between 1/4 to 3/4 up that side. There are 3 compost bins (cylinder type) in the other free corner and in the corner of the fruit bushes.

My queries is I don't eat potatoes and a lot of the conventional veg so what is out there that is healthy, easy to cook and easy to grow? I have some more onion sets and will probably put in shallots too to ensure progression through the season. I also have some seeds for pak choi and perpetual spinach. Beyond that I will put some peas in for nitrogen fixing (you have to really), besides I like eating them raw. Most of my food involves sort of stir fries, curries and tomato and meat based "Italian-ish" meals so something good for these would be great.

Sorry for the long winded enquiry but I am trying to put the info out to find ideas. I'm at a loss really.
Hello, I would suggest growing sweetcorn..If you like it.
Fresh sweetcorn from your plot will taste better than you can buy.
If you wish to grow some, try LARK F1..it is wonderfull.
Hope this helps.

xx
New plot: What to grow?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 14, 2023, 14:15
by Browseruk
xx
what to grow in plot after potatoes

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 09:38
by sunshineband
xx
New plot. Hmmm. What to Grow?

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 12:51
by Yorkie
xx
Why can't I grow carrots on the plot?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2021, 17:37
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 36 queries.