When are your first spuds going in?

• 111 Replies

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
Re: When are your first spuds going in?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2010, 11:24 »
I'm going to plant the earlier this weekend.  Weather permitting. I have got some black weed suppressant membrane on some of it, to try and help warm up the soil.  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2010, 13:20 »
I whiled away some time Googling the planting of spuds using a lunar planting calendar.

I didn't keep a note of the link, but it said "Good Friday is the perfect time in the lunar cycle for planting spuds" ... seemed sensible to me, for followers of planting-by-the-moon, and then I thought "Surely the Full Moon isn't on the same day of the week every Easter?"

So I stuck my sceptical-hat back on - a bit lower this time, so it completely covers my eyes!

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2010, 13:34 »

I have put a few earlies into half barrels where I can fleece protect them as they grow up...but for the serious rows I'm awaiting Easter weekend up here int frozen North...well frozen N midlands really!1

Phill  :) :)

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2010, 14:31 »
I have planted international kidney and charlotte this morning and hoping North Cornwall will be frost free   for now  :) going back this afternoon to put in carrots and beetroot seed and prepare my little salad bed to plant next week :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2010, 16:47 »
If it's not raining tomorrow my Pentland Javelin are going in, the same date as last year! Decided today as it was so warm out there  :)

I've got enough fleece if it turns really nasty, but it will be a while before they will need covering cos of the earthing up to be done first. Last year all the spuds went in at once but I think I'll hedge my bets and leave the 2nds for another week or two ::)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2010, 18:34 »
I have put a couple of my 1st earlies in a potato growbag this morning. Waiting for a while to put the rest in. :)

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2010, 12:40 »
Contrary to my original thought - it's warmed up so much over the last week, and it's now nice and moist with this drop of rain that I think I'm going to pop a few earlies in this weekend. Arran Pilot, Dunluce & Pentland Javelin. I can almost taste them already.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2010, 13:04 »
Having seen the forecast for this weekend I planted my Lady Christl's on Thursday.

Will now be checking the frost forecasts, although they won't be showing above ground for a couple of weeks and should be OK unless we have another mini ice-age!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2010, 16:06 »
Mine are still LOVING it in the conservatory and chitting away quite nicely!!! Hoping to chuck 'em in Monday, weather (and time) permitting  ;)

boosh

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2010, 19:27 »
I'm leaving it till next weekend,
I have the spud area coverd with well rotted manure, which i will rake off before planting, and will put between the rows of spuds when earthed up.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2010, 22:37 »
Planted earlies today and yesterday
Arran Pilot
Dunluce
Pentland Javelin
Sharpe's Express

clarkey95

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2010, 22:45 »
planted my first early arran pilot on friday

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2010, 07:33 »
I'll put mine all in on Easter weekend. 

The potato patch has been covered with plant-through membrane since we got the site last year.  There is still some couch grass underneath but most of the weeds are very poorly!  I am not going to get time to dig this bit as I still have a carrot bed and most of the brassica bed to do.  So I'm planting straight through the membrane with a bulb planter and keeping my fingers crossed. :happy:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 08:17 »
The weather has been pretty good here for almost a fortnight now so decided not to put it off any longer and put my 1st and 2nd earlies in yesterday, just as a precaution they are pretty far down and left loads of room for earthing up.  All being well and if my back holds out I will aim for getting the maincrops in next weekend.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2010, 08:52 »

Started my rows of first earlies yesterday on a gorgeous spring day.

I'll gradually do the other 8-10 rows over the next 10 days or so (2nd earlies and maincrop), hope to have 'em all in by Easter weekend, because I am away. (Have plenty fleece ready though!)

Phill  :)

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
After spuds?

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 22:33
by Paul Plots
xx
Spuds

Started by seedman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 10, 2011, 12:00
by Salmo

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.