Any free / cheap alternatives to using carpet to suppress weeds?

• 9 Replies

Eugene

Hi all,

I'm aware that many users of this site are not keen on using old rolls of carpet for covering unused areas of the allotment, however, my plot is just to big for me to manage this year as I'm busy at work so time on the shovel is limited.

I have access to a free supply (skip) of carpets from the back of a local shop. They are a pain to get rid of once rotten and falling to pieces but I really just can't afford to pay for the weed suppressing fabrics that are on the market.

Does anybody have a decent alternative?

I usually cut small holes in the carpet and plant my squashes & pumpkins so the vines grow on top and this has worked very nicely in the past.

The problem I face, and I don't know if any of you guys out there have it, is that although my plot produces a very decent harvest of nice stuff, it generally looks a bit scruffy because I can't get down there to weed every day.
Now this doesn't bother me or the other families and people who work, but it really annoys the miserable old men who spend every breathing moment down there come the end of March.
A few of us weekenders even received letters last year telling us that the allotment mafia weren't happy about the place looking scruffy.

Are all sites like this or are we just unlucky?

It's not the Chelsea Flower show after all!

Cheers.

prakash_mib

carpet is one bad idea. I had carpet disintegrating and weed undergrowth, which means carpet stuck to the ground. took me ages to clear and the roots as well. Will think about it twice. If you are really weekender then invest in bit of weed fabric (but i really dont know the difference) regular attendence to the allotment is a good thing. Remembere there are people waiting in the list to get a square foot of patch to grow something.
I wouldnt be crossed against people who work a lot, rather would be against people who dont grow anything citing that they work/dont have time etc (sorry for being rude)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Cardboard is always my first choice.  It rots down well and easy to dig in.  It will also show that you are trying to keep on top of your weeds. Cheap, easy to plant through. Win win for me

As for your fellow plot holders, there's some on every site, don't let it worry you too much!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
There's always black plastic.  Howver my council very nicely provided great heaps of soil improver for free last year, so I have spread that all over the plot as a mulch instead.

gillie

Cardboard is easily come by - I just asked around local shops for old packaging.  They are glad to get rid of it!

Gillie

Christine

A few of us weekenders even received letters last year telling us that the allotment mafia weren't happy about the place looking scruffy.
Are all sites like this or are we just unlucky?

So - the basis of the problem is the dreaded letter. It's always one great problem for the committee when there are those with all the time in the world to dedicate to their allotment and those who only have weekends. There is always a clash if your committee does the regular inspections. If they don't, then you have my sympathy as those who have time to work every day of the week will get away with moaning about you.

Thing is, if you spend one day of each weekend down the plot you have a fair chance of keeping enough of the weeds in order to avoid "the letter" but if you have some reason for not going down one weekend then things do get out of hand at the height of the season. And carpet, weed suppressent fabric or whatever will not defend you from complaints I fear. In fact our committee complains more about people using either as it suggests that they do not have the intent to cultivate some areas.

No it's not the Chelsea Flower show, but weeds have seeds which blow about in the wind and neighbouring plots will get a share of your weeds.

Time is the only sensible answer to your problem. Carpet certainly is not I would suggest ever so gently.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Reading between the lines, it sounds like for one reason or another you have a hectic year ahead this year, but are expecting things to get back on an even keel next year, hence you are not wanting to give it up.

Do you have any friends that might want to muck in and perhaps on a temporary basis take one half of your plot, perhaps just for one season? Might ease the workload just for this one year.

Eugene

Thanks for the replies guys, so it looks like cardboard is the way to go.

Indeed I did have an incredibly hectic year in 2009 but thankfully 2010 is shaping up to be more leisurely so I'll be down there more regularly I hope. The peaks and troughs of being self-employed!

Free soil improver ! Sounds like you have a great council wherever you are, ours are to busy giving themselves huge pay increases to worry about soil improver.

I've also offered some of the rough part of my plot to my next door neighbours so they can put some stuff in.

Lovely sunshine today so It's looking a good day to get down there.

Bye for now.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
The other problem with carpet is that its been shown to release some nasty chemicals as it rots down, which is wgy it was abandoned as a peat free alternative in composts (bet you didnt even know it had been tried), so no, i wouldnt put carpet on the plot, full stop.

I use the black plastic used to wrap palleted goods, if you cut it carefully you get a piece of sheet plastic 4m x 1.5m that's resistant to degradation by ultraviolet light, totally opaque and very very cheap.

The alternative, if you want to spend money is Silage Sheet, used by farmers to cover piles of silage, similar stuff, come in HUGE sheets (like 15m x 50m) if you want it, works out the cheapest possible way to but sheet plastic that will stand the weather.

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
If u have any farmers in ur area they will be more than happy to give u their old silage wrap, at least the ones of the bales.Its black thick plastic that they have to dispose of. Its a bit of mix and match  but won't disintegrate and can go in the bin once ur finished with it(but it will last forever if u wanna reuse)

xx
Using tree chippings to suppress weeds

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 18:43
by Thephoenix572
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
question
Carpet

Started by Nufan182 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 16:53
by Nufan182
xx
Just took up some carpet

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 10:13
by Kimberley04

Page created in 0.815 seconds with 36 queries.