does anybody really save money?

• 64 Replies

plum crumble

Re: does anybody really save money?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15 »
madcat - you're as mad as me!!  :D
Learner - I think you're a poet too! Lovely posts, to which I can so fully relate.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

alanb

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2010, 11:15 »
Cost of Greenhouse £350
Cost of seeds ,compost etc, £50
Watching my grandchildren pick and eat peas from the plant and tomatoes from the vine   
Priceless!!!

pod

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2010, 13:51 »
i think i am saving in a big way to my mum payed 2 pound some thin for about 4 leeks yesterday a packet of my seeds dident cost that much and i get more than one dinner from that packet of seeds 1 pound 70 pence for 500g of hurst greenshaft thats alot of peas that will last me about 2 year an my 3 year old daughter loves picking them she cant do that in the supermarket she even has her own strawberry patch with about 60 plants in it she goes down every day when thay are ready to beat the birds and i no i am saving money on the strawberrys a lot two i dont think its about the money just the enjoyment of the hole growing thing an cooking it fresh or just taking a plate an having a freshly picked salad mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roll on the warmer weather cant wait

Dominic

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2010, 15:04 »
Yes, I do
For the cost of 1 clove of Garlic, I can grow 1 bulb of Garlic, which is pretty good going, other costs include my labour, a spade and a patch of my garden.

Its all about what you grow.
I can buy a 25kg bag of potatos for a couple of quid from a local Indian Supermarket, I cant compete with that, so I dont try.

A small container of blueberries/blackcurrants/raspberries ect costs £2 at Tesco, I've spent £100+ on fruit shrubs, aint grown 50 tubs yet, but in a few years, I'll be knocking that much out every year.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 16:17 »
As was rightly pointed out, if you weren't doing this you would be spending money somewhere else; with that in mind I recon you would be in profit if you never ate a single veg. I grow some things that I know are cheap and often better in the shops (root veg that are terrible on my stony clay, leeks, maincrop spuds, onions) knowingly at a loss, but other things are easy to grow but expensive to buy (salad stuff, squashes, beans, cut flowers) so I am sure I make a profit on these (actually flowers especially; used to spend £5 a week on flowers, now self sufficient in them for 9 months, and working on the rest of the year).

Charlie

xx
I save ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 23:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How can i save my plant?

Started by andyh2712 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 22:17
by lincspoacher
xx
Help! How can I save my Onions?!

Started by Raven50 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 18:20
by hubballi
xx
Can I save my Leeks

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:22
by Swing Swang

Page created in 1.378 seconds with 36 queries.