The Novice Owner is back again ...

• 4 Replies

hectorshome

The Novice Owner is back again ...
« on: March 07, 2010, 17:17 »
We have had our four hens about a week and a half now - three of them seem happy, contented, scratch around and lay the occasional egg. 

Number four though, Hettie, seems still a little withdrawn.  She follows the others round and picks at the grass, moss etc but she does tend to stand in one spot for long periods asleep.  She drinks well, takes herself off to bed at night and eats (although I don't think she has as much as the others).  I noticed too that her comb is alot more underdeveloped than the others so I am wondering if she is maybe a little younger - she certainly seems a little smaller. 

On the plus side when my husband went into the run with a bread roll and tossed it around she zoomed after it and managed to outrun some of the others!  So it isn't that she isn't eating ...

Just a little concerned and thought I'd ask what you all thought.

karlooben

Re: The Novice Owner is back again ...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 19:07 »
hiya what breed is she an do u know how old ? , she could be going though a moult which can make them go down in the dumps or she could have an infection of some sort . is there any signs of sneezing or wheezing coming from her .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

hectorshome

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 22:31 »
No definitely no sneezing or wheezing.  She is a White Sussex.  We believe her to be about 14 weeks old.

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:20 »
she could very well be going though a moult although this isnt really the time of year for  it to happen as i have been told , one of mine is the same but u can see where she is moulting on her body . do u have any apple cider vinegar if yes then put some in thier water it will help to pick them up and also u can add a small piece of garlic clove to the water as well its known for keeping colds at bay . but i would also suggest taking her to a vet just n case she does some form of an infection  :D

hectorshome

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:49 »
Thanks so much again for the advice!  Today she seems a bit brighter and is eating and drinking OK.  I will follow up your suggestion though about the cider vinegar and garlic though while the weather is so cold. 

xx
New Hen Owner

Started by bluelou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 22:27
by rachelr
xx
New chook owner!!

Started by poohbabyxx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 16:44
by Axe
xx
Problems for a new owner

Started by gregnjo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 18:07
by gregnjo
xx
Neurotic hen owner....oh and a vid!!

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 22:50
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 36 queries.