can you identify this weed?

• 33 Replies

lesley1322

can you identify this weed?
« on: March 06, 2010, 18:17 »
i was just wondering if anyone knows what this weed is as its growing crazy in patches all over my new plot... its fairly shallow rooted and easy to pull out.
i haven't got a clue what it is and i dont want to compost it if it is perennial...??
DSCF3153.jpg
:)

craggy

Re: can you identify this weed?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 18:24 »
i was just wondering if anyone knows what this weed is as its growing crazy in patches all over my new plot... its fairly shallow rooted and easy to pull out.
i haven't got a clue what it is and i dont want to compost it if it is perennial...??
Don,t know,but i have loads of it :mad:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 18:25 »
Looks like Rosebay Willowherb. It's perennial.

You could try drowning it in water,  but it depends how much you've got!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lesley1322

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 18:30 »
thank you... I just googled rosebay willowherb and it does look similar... i was right not to compost it then :) i have also got a fair few fluffy seedheads hanging about too.

i have currently got a huge pile of just pulled perennials... i have no idea whatsoever what im supposed to do with such an amount. i dont think i could find a tub big enough to drown them all haha. looks like i will have to have a bonfire.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 19:18 »
You must get it out, every last scrap, it spreads like wildfire, and once the head seed you'll have it forever.

Native American Indians used to smoke the leaves........apparantly
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 19:21 by BostonInbred »

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 20:17 »
I don't think it is Rosebay Willowherb.  I have this unidentified plant in my garden too, and i also have the odd bit of RW, and a lot of RW in the locality.

RW doesn't have a glossy leaf, and it tends to have the rosey colour around the central leaf vein and a more pointy leaf too.

I would be interested to know what it is though, like i say, i have it too, and i just hoe it away, it doesn't cause much of a problem.

Sorry, that may or may not be useful!
Liv.

craggy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 20:22 »
I don't think it is Rosebay Willowherb.  I have this unidentified plant in my garden too, and i also have the odd bit of RW, and a lot of RW in the locality.

RW doesn't have a glossy leaf, and it tends to have the rosey colour around the central leaf vein and a more pointy leaf too.

I would be interested to know what it is though, like i say, i have it too, and i just hoe it away, it doesn't cause much of a problem.

Sorry, that may or may not be useful!
i agree,it,s a no problem plant,that has small root system

Ropster

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 20:45 »
burn it

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 20:47 »
I've got it as well, but mainly in one of my asparagus beds.  There was loads of it, and a lot of roots - look like very thin white veins.  A blow-torch could burn a lot of it, but then I would end up with roasted asparagus roots :D
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 20:49 »
Zap it with Round Up before the asapragus shows.

lesley1322

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 20:53 »
so have we come to the conclusion that its not RW??

I might be wrong but surely perennial weeds would be much harder to did out? i can literally pull out clumps with bare hands and the full root system comes out too...?

i have searched through google images and i still can't find an exact matching weed... maybe its a flower??? hum...??

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 20:57 »
If it's not RW, is a close relative. the roots and your flowers match it's description.

Not all perennials are rooted like nettles and docks. This one's pernicious as it seeds everywhere.

craggy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 20:57 »
Zap it with Round Up before the asapragus shows.
nonsense,who needs weed killers.This plant{don,t like the word weed]is removed very easily with a hoe.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 21:00 »
I have something very in my garden spreads like mad, also they have thick rhizomes that run under the ground and produce more plants drives me insane  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 21:08 »
I'm pretty sure I've got the same stuff as in Lesley's picture in my garden. Don't think it's Rose bay willow herb which grows quite tall; mine never really gets far off the ground, is easily pulled out (but always with the suspicion that you have left a bit behind!), but equally doesn't ever seem to threaten to take over (just a bit of a nuisance!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
identify weed pls.

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 22:10
by sunshineband
xx
How do I identify this weed?

Started by davebarfoot on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 20:14
by cheadleplotter
xx
Identify the weed!

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 20:06
by richyrich7
xx
another please identify this weed.

Started by liz from the fizz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 22:00
by WG.

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 38 queries.