Cheap spare run/broody?

• 5 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Cheap spare run/broody?
« on: March 06, 2010, 18:10 »
I want to get a couple more girls, and would like to introduce them properly, so I think I need a spare coop with a run. It might be used as a broody if I decide to hatch out any chicks. Any ideas about where I can get one cheaply/2nd hand that isn't going to be a load of rubbish? I have been toying with getting and Eglu, but really the cost for a spare isn't something I can really justify. I don't want to spend over £150 really. Help..........

poppies

Re: Cheap spare run/broody?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 18:47 »
Hi if you are thinking of getting a second hand coop be very careful someone gave us one and it was alive with redmite, we ended up burning it

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 18:52 »
could you make one ? we recently borrowed a small broody hutch the best way i can expain it is a rabbit hutch(with liftable roof for cleaning)and a detachable run basically a frame with weld mesh round including under neath.you may come across a decent size hutch on freecycle and be able to modify it. The run would cost a little for wood and wire.just remember anything you get that isnt new needs thoroughly cleaning and sanitising before you put your new birds in :)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 19:22 »
Yes, I am toying with chopping a hole in the guinea pigs large run and attaching it to their small one, which has a inside area. It could accommodate two hens in for a week I think  ??? Not sure it would be as fox proof as the cube but it would be much cheaper, the guinea pigs might like a bigger run too! Totally agree about the red mite!

janet12000

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 19:33 »
I have used a small rabbit hutch which sounds similar to the one Lisa was on about with the liftable roof.
I built the small run around it myself.

The ducklings used it until they were too big, and I used it for isolating a poorly chicken.

The hutch cost about 65 quid from what I remember, and materials for the run came to about 30 quid.

At present the run is dismantled, but the garden gang seem to love the hutch despite it being tiny and quite often they decide to spend the night in there.....silly girls.  :wacko:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 19:52 »
Hi, what are you like with a hammer and saw?, i built my own coops with no previous experiance , you get what you want that way ;)

xx
Cheap broody pen?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 20:16
by richyrich7
xx
spare kitchen food

Started by garddwr on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 09:04
by Debz
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 36 queries.