not even started....

• 13 Replies

jennyhen

not even started....
« on: March 06, 2010, 17:29 »
Hello everyone! I'm completely new to keeping chickens- as in I haven't even got them yet! But its turning into an obsession, I wake up thinking of chickens!  :blink:
Anyhow, I'm thinking of getting 3 Rhode island reds and giving over the back garden to them. I have a coop on order too. But what I need to know is.... Will the chooks eat my entire lawn? It's about 15 X 20 ft grass. Oh, and any advice for starting out is most welcome!  :)  xx

DavidT

Re: not even started....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 19:23 »
Good evening Jenny and welcome to the site. I`m sure you`ll get all the advice you need from the chicken keepers on here :D Wether you want it or not. :lol: :lol: :lol:

birds in a basket

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 20:09 »
 :)Hello Jennyhen - we are just starting too!  Welcome to the "chicken club".  Glad to hear someone else is living and breathing chickens at the moment too!  I go to bed thinking, plotting and planning, dream about them and they are my first thought in the morning (oh dear - maybe I shouldn't have admitted that online)  Sure you will get loads of advice from the experts here as I have.  Our coop is half built and the digging is about to start for installing the run.  We are looking for bog standard chucks at the moment till we get used to what we are doing.  Hope to hear more from you.  :D
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 20:20 »
:) We are looking for bog standard chucks

:ohmy: :mad: Wash your mouth out woman!!! there is no such thing as a bog standard chuck they are all beautiful  :D :D

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 20:54 »
Welcome JH to the madness that is chook keeping. A lawn your size should be trashed completely by the end of the first day. By the end of the second day the holes they've dug will be deep enough to trap elephants :ohmy:
From my limited experience the grass will cope in summer when growing well, but winter could be a problem. There are some 'poultry grasses' in the Grass Seed Store (Google) so I've ordered some. Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you how efficacious they are until 2011!
Enjoy the chooks.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:51 »
From what i have learned from my girls your back lawn will look like a mud bath in a week.
but i would not have it any other way and mud is good for the complection. :lol:

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 13:35 »
The hens WILL destroy your lawn and pretty much anything else that's green but, chicken keeping will turn in to an obsession... be warned! lol :)

birds in a basket

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 18:28 »
Ok Lizzie - I TAKE BACK THAT GLIB COMMENT - phew!!!! I simply meant that due to my lack of experience I would rather not cut my teeth on expensive pure breed chucks!!!!! :tongue2: I do realise that ALL chucks are special although my husband thinks that the first ones are expendable (OMG wait for the comments to that statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 

I therefore declare and promise that I will honestly do my very best to look after them to the best of my ability (with your advice) so help me God and give my total allegiance to our feathered brethren.

Convinced????????? :ohmy: :blink: :wub: :wacko: :) :) :) :)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 21:31 »
hi there! you can tell your husband that they will soon be paying their way in eggs - i havent had to buy any for 4 weeks now, so thats saved us  £3 per week, so far £12 which is going towards their set up costs (£650 approx!) how many weeks will that take :unsure: seriously though, they are such great fun and even my husband agrees and he didnt want them in the beginning!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35 »
Poultry grass seed http://www.thegrassseedstore.co.uk/1000-diverse-poultry-pasture-p-467.html

I have a garden 16x18m and it was almost bare after a few months grazing by four hens. It's starting back into growth now (they are confined to one area of it during the veg growing season!) and looks lovely and healthy for all the manure they left on it! We'll rotate them back onto it again in the autumn.

Meanwhile, their garden/run is stripped and that's 5x12m .... mind you, there are eight of them now  :tongue2:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

robinson

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:02 »
Chickens will make a mess of anything!  My hubby was not keen on the idea of them at first because of the mess they might cause but having eaten the eggs he has agreed the mud is worth it.  Still havent managed to get him to poo pick yet but I am now known as a mad chicken mummy and I wouldnt have it any other way.  Working on him letting me have some more and he has gradually giving way.  Hopefully by easter he will have been worn down!

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 21:09 »
my three are like a mini disaster zone on the move & anything green is their target!
Toni

leddenton

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 19:00 »
Hi They will wreck any thing green really quickly so My hubby had to fence off a corner of the garden as I didn't like them cooped up ,there are only 2!  I let them out as a treat if I am out ther as they cause havoc but I love them to bits!

chooksbury

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 18:14 »
I had a beautiful moss lawn to begin with ... but my tiny terrorists have had great fun tearing it about .. mind you the beauty of moss is .. you just stick handfuls back and water it and it grows back  :) 

xx
Just Started Laying

Started by SamnElla on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 23, 2010, 14:24
by SamnElla
xx
started laying

Started by caerkev on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 06:45
by caerkev
xx
Help ! and I haven't even started yet

Started by Newbury Novice on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:41
by Fisherman
xx
advice on getting started please

Started by LJB on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 20:37
by LJB

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 36 queries.