Have you planted your onion sets?

• 51 Replies

Ghost

Have you planted your onion sets?
« on: March 06, 2010, 15:06 »
I went to do it today but the soil was sticking to the rake. Should I have just put them in anyway? I mean it could rain for the next few weekends.

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
Re: Have you planted your onion sets?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 15:51 »
Yup, planted a row of reds today as the ground was fairly dry and not too cold either. I'll probably plant more tomorrow! :)
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

Sharon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 16:28 »
I would be planting mine today if Thompson and Morgan had bothered delivering them.
Still waiting for onions, shallots and potatos. >:(  They are all on the way apparently. ::)

plum crumble

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 16:32 »
yup - tomorrow is onions and shallots time! That's shallot! I'll get my coat....
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 16:45 »
yup - tomorrow is onions and shallots time! That's shallot! I'll get my coat....

:D :D :D :D

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 16:50 »
I would be planting mine today if Thompson and Morgan had bothered delivering them.
Still waiting for onions, shallots and potatos. >:(  They are all on the way apparently. ::)

I got my sets from t&m also and they were delivered weeks ago (still waiting for spuds but they did say it would be late march) - when did you order yours?

Sharon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 16:55 »
I ordered mine in the first week of January.  I know things can get delayed but it took 3 e-mails before I got an answer.

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 21:13 »
Hmm, maybe mine were a different variety, but ordered them with my spuds in late january. T&M are good but I they they accept too many orders and struggle to keep up. Have you noticed that theres never anything out of stock (at least I havent seen any).

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 21:17 »
no not yet, not through choice tho, I ordered mine from marshalls in mid jan. they said I would get them at begining of march, still no sign of em, if I havnt got them by wednesday I will start to complain as they have had my money since the ordering date.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 21:17 »
Had the same trouble with T&M last year, and they are late this year too. I don't bother any more with emails, as I have to wait for those too!

Not too bothered about me spuds, but wish they hurry up with the garlic
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 21:20 »
CN - I've seen loads of stuff out of stock with T & M.

Poddy - the spuds I ordered with free post were waiting for me when I got back off hols, so don't give up.

I have to say in their defence that they are well packed and don't have 3" chits on them!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 21:44 »
learnt my lesson this year, will not bother with the big companies, it makes me angry that if they can not keep up with the demand, they should not advertise the products and not keep there promise, they take the money as soon as the order is placed, it makes me wonder if the future orders that we pay for is what they are spending on their magazines they are sending out.  In outherwords are we paying for their advertising. Will not be using them again.  I brought my seeds from vegetable seeds direct and what a wonderfull service I got, unfortuntly they didnt do sets of onions.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 21:48 »
One of the reasons we started the thread about local independant nurseries here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=35584.0

In the main you can buy what you need, no post costs and stuff like pea seed by weight, not per rip off packet.

Please feel free to add to it.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 21:58 »
Hi thanks dd, you must be on here all the time, whenever anyone needs advice you, mumofstig and peapod are always here for us all.  Many thanks you have got hearts of gold.  And all the other members  who answer and post a great big cheer and hug for you all.  Thanks Mandy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 22:00 »
Very nice of you to say so Lupin

Thanks  :)

xx
Autumn Planted Onion and shallot sets?

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 20:18
by LilacSandy
xx
old onions started sprouting, can they be planted like onion sets?

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 12:47
by DD.
xx
autumn planted onion sets and broad beans

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 05:18
by DD.
xx
Autumn planted shallot sets

Started by compostqueen on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 10:33
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.854 seconds with 37 queries.