I've let them out'

• 5 Replies

dakota

I've let them out'
« on: May 29, 2007, 22:17 »
Well, I've had the chucks a week today,and this afternoon as been the best so far.  Entertainment wise that is.  It stopped raining about mid day,so after the sun had been out a couple of hours I let them out of the coop run,into the outter one for the first time. Half the run was previously a part of my vegetable plot,and it had just been dug over,the remainder was a part of the lawn and the grass was about 6inch long as it had'nt been mown for about 4weeks whilst I was fencing it off. Boy; did they enjoy themselves,scratting in the soil,sqabbling over a lob worm that had surfaced,by the time they had sorted themselves out the worm had buried itself, I never realised chucks could be enthrawling. And as for the grass,they can trim it nearly as quick as a mower. They decided to call it a day at about  9-45,this is about the latest they've turned in. All in all,I think the chucks and I have had a great day. Also my recent concern about their droppings,things seem to be improving,so yes its been a good day.  Best Wishes to you all    Edward

cluckingmad

I've let them out'
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 22:57 »
I totally agree with you - chooks are definitely entertaining!  I've had my six just over two months now and still feel the same way.  I let mine out into the garden and when one manages to find a big juicy worm it's like watching a rugby match - I never knew chickens could run and dodge the others so fast :lol:   They even recognise my rake and spade now - as soon as I take it into the garden they follow me around waiting to see what I dig up.  And they make the most adorable little noises!  Glad to hear you're having fun :)      Joy.
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I've let them out'
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 23:27 »
One small word of warning Edward.

Long grass is not too good for hens.  It can get tangled into a mass in their crop and get stuck.  Give it a light trim, you can let them have some of the fresh chopped up mowings out of the mower box if you like too.

dakota

I've let them out'
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 13:08 »
Quote from: "cluckingmad"
I totally agree with you - chooks are definitely entertaining!  I've had my six just over two months now and still feel the same way.  I let mine out into the garden and when one manages to find a big juicy worm it's like watching a rugby match - I never knew chickens could run and dodge the others so fast :lol:   They even recognise my rake and spade now - as soon as I take it into the garden they follow me around waiting to see what I dig up.  And they make the most adorable little noises!  Glad to hear you're having fun :)      Joy.

Yes Joy, They're a pleasure to have, every time I go and  sit watching them, they never fail to surprise me,the're my favourite passtime.
                                      Cheers   Edward

dakota

I've let them out'
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 13:10 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
One small word of warning Edward.

Long grass is not too good for hens.  It can get tangled into a mass in their crop and get stuck.  Give it a light trim, you can let them have some of the fresh chopped up mowings out of the mower box if you like too.

Thanks for yet more useful advise Aunt Sally,
                                                     Cheers Edward

jmx

I've let them out'
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 16:53 »
I totally agree.  I would never have thought hens could be so much fun!
When we go out into the garden, they all run over to see if we have anything for them.  Is it just me, or do hens look like men with no arms when they're running :?
'just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!'

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 36 queries.