India takeaway base sauce.

• 34 Replies

Snoop

Re: India takeaway base sauce.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 16:12 »
Jamie Oliver has several pastes you can make on his web site. Not sure what the protocol is for links on this site, so I won't put the link here, but I guess you all know who he is. I've not made any of his pastes yet, but most of the comments appended to the page of recipes are pretty positive.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 19:06 »
Thanks for checking re links, snoop.

Generally it's ok to post links to external sites unless they're ones you have a direct interest in e.g. blogs or commercial activities.

In fact, it's better to acknowledge copyright by linking to the site rather than copying and pasting direct to here.

You can use the globe icon above the message box to rename the actual URL, just insert info so it reads {url=paste url here}give shorter rename{/url} - with square brackets of course.

If anyone's unsure what is and isn't allowed, please have a look at the site policies

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 19:48 »
It's not really a takeaway base sauce, but this is the recipe I use for a base.  I divide into 4 and freeze and 1/4 plus about 50ml (2floz) water makes enough sauce for 500-600gm (about 1lb) meat, fish or veg.   

It's called a daag masala and I think is north indian in origin. Add it to oil and heat through for a few mins, then add meat/fish/veg and water and simmer until main ingredient done. 

1kg (2lb) onions - finely chopped
4cm (inch and a half) long piece fresh ginger
6 cloves garlic
3-4 green chillies
Can of chopped tomatoes
100ml (3 and 1/2 floz) oil
4 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Handful chopped green coriander
1 teaspoon salt

Heat the oil and slowly fry the onions for 20-30 minutes until really brown
Chop the garlic, ginger and chilli and add - fry for a couple of minutes more
Add the coriander and stir and fry 4-5 mins - add a splash of water if it sticks
Add cumin, tumeric and garam masala and stir and fry for 30 seconds
Add the tomato, coriander, 400ml (14floz) water and the salt and cook over a low heat for 15 mins

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 07:10 »
That looks like one I will try New Shoot. :) Thanks! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 19:14 »
Ive been doing my own curry for a few years now and this recipe is the closest ive got it goes!!                                                                                                                                        

4 onions finely chopped
    6cloves of  garlic
     2 inch ginger
    1 can of tomatoes [not italian variety]
     1 green chilli
     5 tbsp oil
      1 cinnamon stick
      1 clove
      2 green cardamon pods
      1teaspoon of  coriander seeds
      1 teaspoon of cumin
     1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
     1/2 teaspoon of peppercorns
     1/2 teaspoon of tumeric
     1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
     1teaspoon of  madras curry powder
     1 teaspoon of tandoori curry powder
     1/2 pint of chicken stock
     salt and coriander to taste
     i use chicken but think this curry would be okay with beef,lamb etc
     2 large chicken breats diced

Heat the oil and slowly fry the onions for 20-30 minutes until really brown
Chop the garlic, ginger and chilli and add - fry for a couple of minutes more,grind together,cumin,coriander,peppercorns,fenugreek,clove and seeds from cardomon to a fine powder,add to onion mixture along with cinnamon stick,madras powder,tumeric,chilli powder and tandori powder fry gently for 2 mins adding chicken stock if it sticks to pan once fryed add tomatoes and rest of stock and simmer for 1/2 hour add salt to taste and coriander and serve!!!!
I always fry off chicken in seperate pan and add to curry when curry is simmering to cook through.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 19:19 by fletcherbaker »

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 20:35 »
Try this one made a few differant ones pretty good

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/top20.php

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 21:08 »
With regard to Pilau rice I was taught this method.

Use basmati rice and cook as normal boiled rice. Drain and put in an oven proof dish with a lid (or use tinfoil). Add a few cardoman pods and bay leaves and level the top. Mix a small amount of turmeric with a tablespoon of water and dribble a cross pattern over the rice. Put in a warm oven for around 15 minutes whilst you finish preparing the curry. Fluff rice and serve.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Moosey

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 09:15 »
I do mine a different way to that and it can be hit and miss  :unsure:    Thanks for the tip am deffo going to try yours  :D
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

Lardman

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59 »
With regard to Pilau rice I was taught this method.

Use basmati rice and cook as normal boiled rice. Drain and put in an oven proof dish with a lid (or use tinfoil). Add a few cardoman pods and bay leaves and level the top. Mix a small amount of turmeric with a tablespoon of water and dribble a cross pattern over the rice. Put in a warm oven for around 15 minutes whilst you finish preparing the curry. Fluff rice and serve.

I've been trying the pilau rice for a while and the best I can come up with is. Its a blend of recipes I've seen elsewhere with the quantities modified to my taste / cooker its very close to my local takeaway, especially if its reheated next day in the microwave.

WASH THE BASMARTI RICE !! do this several times until the water is clear otherwise you'll end up with a stodgy mess. Leave it to drain.

1 portion - multiple up for as many as you like.

1 desert spoon of veg oil - no you can't use less or anything else, it wont taste right.
2 Whole cloves
2 Green Cardemom pods
1 piece of Cassia bark (or a cinnamon stick)
1 Star Anise
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for a yellow colour)

75g of Washed Rice
142ml of Water

Put the spices and oil in a saucepan and heat on a medium until the spices crackle and you start to smell them. DON'T BURN THEM.

Add the rice and stir to coat the grains.

Add water and turn the heat up until the water boils.

Put the lid on the pan and turn the heat right down to the minimum setting.

Don't remove the lid now until its time to fluff up the rice.

Leave to simmer for 6minutes. (This will need to be adjusted for you cooker.)

Turn the heat out and leave for a further 6minutes.

Remove cassia bark / star anise and fluff.

Serve.

Water / Rice measurements need to be exact but even I can reproduce good results every time  :D

I did a lovely chicken Korma last night that would have been perfect if I could have ground up the dessicated coconut into a finer powder.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 15:10 »
I can't wait to get started on some of these recipes. They sound delicious!

However - word of warning about rice...

Apparently cooked rice contains a bacteria that will multiply quickly if its not cooled quickly, stored in a cold fridge and consumed within 24 hrs. I have a friend who is a cookery teacher, and she tells me that if you get an upset tummy after having had a curry, its more likely to be the rice that caused it.

So  - BEWARE!!! (... and stay clear of rice salads on a buffet table too)

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 15:22 »
Apparently cooked rice contains a bacteria that will multiply quickly if its not cooled quickly, stored in a cold fridge and consumed within 24 hrs. I have a friend who is a cookery teacher, and she tells me that if you get an upset tummy after having had a curry, its more likely to be the rice that caused it.

So  - BEWARE!!! (... and stay clear of rice salads on a buffet table too)

The food bacteria in rice is bacillius cereus and the problem with cooling and reheating rice is that the bacteria has heatproof spores that protect the bacteria during that process, when normally the heat would have killed the bacteria. The danger zone for food is between 5 - 57c and the problem is when the food is allowed to linger in that danger zone - through prolonged cooling or inadequate reheating.

As long as you're careful during these times, the rice will be fine. Spread the rice thinly on a tray to maximise surface area and speed up cooling, wrap and refrigerate. To reheat, make sure rice is absolutely piping hot all the way through. More than four hours being held at a danger temp - bin it. Not entirely sure of the rice salad at the buffet - don't eat it. Same can be said for anything but as long as you use some savvy, it'll be fine.  :blink:

Sorry if that was really dull but if I don't share then those five days spent in a conference room or an, albeit lovely, hotel in Birmingham doing Adv Food Safety was a complete waste. And I reeeally don't want to waste five days of my life!!  :)
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 15:24 »
Ive been doing my own curry for a few years now and this recipe is the closest ive got it goes!!                                                                                                                                        

And I'd def trust this recipe, coming from a Midlands boy!! Best curries of my life were on Bristol Rd in Selly Oak!

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 15:03 »
rhythmvick
I knew someone would have the "proper" answer to my comment about rice. After what I'd heard, I am now very picky!

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 09:17 »
rhythmvick
I knew someone would have the "proper" answer to my comment about rice. After what I'd heard, I am now very picky!

I'd agree! But I now feel like a super-geek  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06 »
rhythmvick

I'd agree! But I now feel like a super-geek  :wacko:

we'll forgive you, so don't worry :)

xx
Tom sauce

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 22:51
by tode
xx
Pasta sauce

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 19:06
by sunshineband
xx
Cranberry sauce

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 12:32
by pigeonpie
xx
Leek Sauce

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 19:15
by Bombers

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 37 queries.