sexing chicks

• 13 Replies

lisa80

sexing chicks
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:22 »
 we had some cream legbars hatch on saturday and we managed to sex them easily ,we have one boy and 2 girls .My question is do i need to separate them ? does it become more difficult to tell the difference as they get older?or will it be just as obvious  many thanks   lisa :) :)

dizzylizzie

Re: sexing chicks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 14:09 »
Can you pop a bit of coloured wool around its leg till they are big enough for leg rings? Im not sure if it should be done, but if its dangerous im sure someone will be along to tell us ;)

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 14:41 »
i thought about leg rings i think you can get small ones but it would mean changing it as it grows ,i just dont have the room to seperate them at the moment .im sure you can get rings like they use for bugies etc will have a search :)

spottymint

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 15:57 »
Hi

Be carefull using somthing like budgie rings, being too small as the bird grows you will need to be quick to remove them as they could damage the growing leg.

Maybe a bit of string (wool they may get claws caught in), but keep a good eye on it, so it doesen't get tight as the leg grows.

Some people use nail polish on puppies tails/fur to mark certain puppies. May work ?

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 16:07 »
thats my worry with rings and string but nail varnish sounds good :D would it be safe for them tho ???just a dot on their foot? its just until i can get them outside then separating wont be a problem :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 16:49 »
 Hi, i did a quic search and oundhttp://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsResultsList1.asp?cat=35 soloway feeders do flatband chick rings.
You will need to change them as they grow, but as you dont have a lot it shouldnt be a problem. Also, be careful of nail polish as it would be toxic if they peck at it, it could also cause injury to the chick. Can i sk, why do you need to seperate them yet ?( sorry just curious :))

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 16:54 »
thats just it i dont need to separate them,but if their apperance changes when they get older i wont be able to tell the one boy from the girls :)its my first time having cream legbars so not sure about them.i havent got the room to seperate them now while their under heat. :) :)

lisa80

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 17:12 »
Just found some on p and t as well 12p a ring £3 postage :lol: :lol:same for solway

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 17:57 »
A spot of purple spray somewhere?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 18:15 »
I agree purple spray - remember to renew as gets faded washed off tho' :)

You should not need to separate them and not until the cockerel gets a bit older. I don't know how many weeks. Mine lived together until I culled the cockerels at about 24 weeks but it may vary ;)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

lisa80

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 18:18 »
think im going to go for a leg ring :) once they are off heat it wont be a problem  :)i have 2 welsummer chicks and i thought i could tell the difference when they were born but now they are 8 wks old i just cant tell they look the same now :( i was only considering seperating them so i could tell which is which but a leg ring or mark should save me the trouble :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 18:32 »
A spot of purple spray somewhere?
Good idea...do his belly :D

lisa80

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 19:14 »
his markings are not as bright as the girls so maybe a stripe down his back?hahaha  :lol:

goodegg

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 19:31 »
i think a few purple spots would look very nice sorry ill get my coat :D

xx
sexing chicks

Started by Sammy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 23:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Sexing Chicks

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 15:57
by grinling
xx
Sexing Chicks

Started by spider on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 23:03
by woodside farm
xx
Sexing Chicks

Started by Prod on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 20:42
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.