Recycling

• 17 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Recycling
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:22 »
I expect this has been covered before, but what do you recycle to use on your plot? I am thinking more along the lines of containers as opposed to compost. I always save empty 2litre pop bottles as mini cloches, toilet roll tubes for seed sowing and the rolls from kitchen towel for my leeks. Any original ideas?

granjan

• Experienced Member
Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:03 »
Talking of toilet roll tubes,  if  you make them into square shapes, i.e. flatten one way and then the other, they fit much easier into a seed tray :)  I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs with that one.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:22 »
lol ty gran, actually I have read that somewhere, but I had forgotton! So thanks for reminding me.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:03 »
I use kitchen roll tubes to start the parsnip but i never considered squaring them up,

till now.

Egg sucking is a rare skill nowdays :).......... :tongue2:

Ta Granjan.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 14:46 »
The council gave us big green plastic bins to recycle our glass n tins. I have 'recycled' 8 of them to grow fruit bushes in  :wub:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 14:59 »
I use plastic veg./fruit punnets for planting seeds (make holes in bottom) and strawberry punnets with their clear lids as mini propagators (tape over holes)!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 15:00 »
Pringles tubes are good for leeks and sturdier
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 15:02 »
Pringles tubes are good for leeks and sturdier

I wish I was allowed to eat that many Pringles!!  :wub:
Rachael

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 15:03 »
Thats what sons and their girlfriends are for  :lol:

Bout the only thing they do to help me on the lotty  ::)

craggy

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 18:40 »
Thats what sons and their girlfriends are for  :lol:

Bout the only thing they do to help me on the lotty  ::)
why not pee on the compost heap.Now thats recycling.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 18:41 »
Thats the OHs job  :lol:

goodegg

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 19:15 »
the trays from mushrooms are very good for planting all sorts of beans .peas and other veg

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:15 »
last april my local council moved from traditonal dustbins to these newfangled wheelie bins.

This happened to coincide with my entering into the world of growing tomatoes ( outside toms -don't have a greenhouse). I collected the old dustbins from friends and family and cut them in half ( height wise) drilled a few holes in the lower half and planted the toms in them.

In winter and spring I sweep up the leaves from my own front path and the public path and store them in wire cages to rot down into leafmold. 

not had much success with using loo roll and kitchen roll tubes for seeds they tend to go mouldy , but I do put them on my compost heap. maybe someone can tell me where I'm going wrong with this as I read lots of you use these. :unsure:

it's good to be green, it's great to save money being green, but I'm time poor and often find it's quicker to reuse something than go and buy new.

having said that I'm no organic saint, I use glyphosate etc. But it is very satisfying to reuse things from the house and to get compost and leafmould from stuff you'd be spending time and effort throwing out if you didn't chuck in a heap and wait to rot down.

Not everyone has space for compost heaps and leafmold pens so it's each to their owm, but if you have it's very rewarding to poke around in a heap of leaves you left 3 years ago and discover it's beautiful seed compost now  :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29 »
last april my local council moved from traditonal dustbins to these newfangled wheelie bins.

not had much success with using loo roll and kitchen roll tubes for seeds they tend to go mouldy , but I do put them on my compost heap. maybe someone can tell me where I'm going wrong with this as I read lots of you use these. :unsure:

When our council replaced recycling boxes with wheelie bins I used the old boxes as tomato troughs - big enough for two plants each. Probably would have been good for potatoes too.

As for the loo roll inners - they nearly always go mouldy - you can reduce this by making sure you don't overwater, but a small amount of mould won't hurt anyway.

Plastic bottles can be cut into strips to make plant labels (use permanent/waterproof marker pen)

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34 »
Far from original but , old tights/ stockings can be cut into 1" lengths and used as plant ties.
Great for toms,peppers and cuc`s in the greenhouse.

xx
Recycling seeds

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 19:02
by azubah
xx
Recycling used compost

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:39
by devondave
xx
Ash for recycling/using in garden

Started by oliviahelen on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 14:03
by oliviahelen
xx
Recycling straw

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2012, 08:04
by Kirpi

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 38 queries.