how do i make good fertilizer for veg

• 22 Replies

craggy

Re: how do i make good fertilizer for veg
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 23:10 »
just wondering what i could feed to my sweetcorn, tomatos, cucumber, squash, and beans. would nettles in water for a few weeks be any good ?

any other suggestions ?

thanks  
miracle grow.

digalotty

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 23:22 »
yes there is a miracle grow especially for veg
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

zazen999

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 08:16 »
Hey Zazen, could you describe whats going on in those pics for me pls

Google "comfrey press"

Thems very small pipes.  I've got mine in 4" pipe and easily fill it from just 5 plants - its also the exact internal diameter of a 2ltr water bottle used as a weight.

Although I still haven't mastered the art of stopping the end falling off.

That's why I have the little plant pots on the bottom, the gunk drips out the bottom and at the end of the season, I slide the pipe up, take the plant pot out and chuck the leftover gunk on the compost heap. I don't weigh them down, I just chop it up and pour some water in and it rots and gravity does the rest.

Cazzy

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 13:47 »
Just googled the comfrey press and found this step by step guide  http://organicgarden.org.uk/?page_id=283 for anyone else interested in trying it out.

Sounds the business  :)
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 15:42 »
Just googled the comfrey press and found this step by step guide  http://organicgarden.org.uk/?page_id=283 for anyone else interested in trying it out.

Sounds the business  :)

Thanks, that looks simple enough but I have a couple of questions based on the design in the link...

If this is positioned outdoors, how do you stop the rain getting into the end of the pipe, behind the bottle weight, and making its way down to the green stuff? The image just shows the string coming out of the top of the pipe, surely rain can now build up behind the bottle and make its way down the inside to join the green stuff and enter the collection tin at the bottom? Or is that the idea? (am I missing something?)

So, you fill the pipe with green leaves etc, drop in the weight, and thats it? no added water?

What greens are best to use? Nettle? anything else?

Thanks.
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

zazen999

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 16:11 »
As I said, I put water in and as you mix it with water anyway, it's not a problem.

One of mine is for nettles [for the nitrogen]. The other is for comfrey [for the potassium].

I don't do anything else, but will be putting a bag of manure dunked into the water butt to make shite tea......

Lardman

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 18:29 »
If this is positioned outdoors, how do you stop the rain getting into the end of the pipe,
behind the bottle weight, and making its way down to the green stuff?

I position mine under the eves of the shed - its not totally covered but its good enough.

So, you fill the pipe with green leaves etc, drop in the weight, and thats it? no added water?

Works for me - takes a while to get going but it really does work. I still have 2pts in the shed from last year.

That's why I have the little plant pots on the bottom, the gunk drips out the bottom and at the end of the season, I slide the pipe up, take the plant pot out and chuck the leftover gunk on the compost heap. I don't weigh them down, I just chop it up and pour some water in and it rots and gravity does the rest.

I think we discussed this last summer didn't we ? I've currently got a flower pot saucer stuck with silicone on the bottom of the pipe. I think I might try a proper waste pipe end cap this year.

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 19:03 »
thanks everyone  :)

xx
How much fertilizer to use ??

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 09:22
by fivespud364
xx
fertilizer to buy - help

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 09:49
by robbodaveuk
xx
What fertilizer to use

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 09:06
by mumofstig
xx
So which fertilizer do you use?

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 13:42
by Ema

Page created in 1.119 seconds with 37 queries.