My new Machine

• 26 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
My new Machine
« on: March 03, 2010, 18:24 »
When will I make my mind up?
It is between the Mantis and the FG110 tiller.
So far I am interested in the FG110, I think it is because it looks more robust and may not jump about like the Mantis, plus it is a bit cheaper as well.
Just wish I could make my mind up.
The main use will be to weed between the rows and to brake down to a fine tilth.
The main digging is done with my rotavator.
If any one has used the FG110 it would be good to see what you recommend.
Reg and Pat
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 14:58 by noshed »
I'm lost without my SatNav.

Spana

Re: My new Machine
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 21:43 »
I would recommend  a nice sharp hoe.   ::) But then i love hoeing :lol:honest :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 22:16 »
I'm interested in this too. Maybe you should start a thread mentioning the names/numbers of the machines you're interested in. You might get replies with people that have them.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31 »
I'd go for the FG110.
It does look a stronger machine.

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24 »
Hi Gwiz. On your recommendation, I've just had a look at the Honda FG110 video - it certainly looks impressive.

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:20 »
My second hand mantis is up to the job - but given the choice I would go for Honda every time, oh, plus gwiz knows what he is about ;)

neal

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 21:56 »
I have a FG110 got it to use along side my much larger Honda F501.
It dose all i ask of it great for keeping the weeds down but the main use
i put it to is in the polytunnel (14x30) and the two covered areas where
i grow my chrysanths. The 501 can be a hand full in confined spaces.
I would not hesitate in recommending the Honda. I understand you work
walking backwards with the Mantis i like to see where i am going :D   

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:35 »
Excellent recommendations. Thanks. Not sure what caretaker is going to do, but I have pretty well made up my mind to go with the Honda. All I have to do now is save up!

Spana

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 14:51 »
You've got me interested in the FG110 now :lol: Watched the video but they only show it working on very dry soil.  Anyone know how it handles on wetter soil.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 17:40 »
Excellent recommendations for me to, I am going on holiday in one weeks time but on my return and if Pat has not spent all my money I am ordering the FG110.
Tomorrow I am going to a mower sales place as they some times have rotavators and tillers and see if they have one there if so will get one.
Thanks to one and all for helping me make my mind up, I also would like to say how informative and helpful this site is.
Keep on digging.
Reg and Pat

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 17:44 »
Well I visited the mower shop last Sunday and they was closed, well I never but not to give in I returned today Monday and low and behold there was Pat saying over here and yes not one but two FG110s brand new but £10 more than the Internet.
The sales man arrives and I said this machine is £10 cheaper on line but he said convincing me that as he was local and have any problems he would fix it there.
So off he went with machine filled it with oil and petrol, dusted it down and started it up.
First go with the choke on, he returned with machine and then told me about on/off switch, choke, etc and then turned off choke pulled the starter and away it went first go.
It was very silent running so paid the man and away we went, I must say the sales man did put it in the car for me as well.
If I get time Tuesday will have a go over the allotment but if not will be when I return from my holiday.
To be continued....

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 21:13 »
well reading this has almost convinced me to buy the honda Honda FG110 aswell
iv seen the videos and look at the reviews. it looks robust and even has its own roll cage  :lol: i might have to invest in one.
caretaker if you take it out for a try anyntime soon could you maybe tell me a wee bit about your personal expearience
Cheers
PP.

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:19 »

If I get time Tuesday will have a go over the allotment but if not will be when I return from my holiday.
To be continued....

Hi Caretaker, I was given the loan of a rotovator recently. It weighs about 20 kg or so and is too much for me to handle. I'm definitely determined now to buy a small one, even if I have to spend longer using it.

So, I hope it doesn't make you feel like a guinea pig if I ask you what your opinion is of the Honda. Do you have any feedback for pumpkinpatch and me? I hope it's been a positive purchase because I really want one but have to persuade the local chancellor of the exchequer it's a good thing.

Thanks for any advice or views.

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 19:17 »
Im looking for a smaller one too snoop
i hired a bigun out from hsl hire to much for me to handle
then i borrowed my mates 2 stroke mantis tiller and i wasnt pleased with it at all
its loud and quite smoky so id like to know if this one is better seen as its a 4 stroke 

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 10:41 »
I have an FG110 - you will need to buy the heavy digging tynes if you have heavy soil or take a hammer with you to straighten out the standard tynes - they bend when they meet heavy wet clay type soil.  Also the tynes need to be cleared of soil every so often, otherwise a good machine - always starts first time. >:(

If you have light soil, or you dig over with a spade first then no problems. :)

xx
where was your machine made .check here

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 14:06
by muntjac
xx
plucking birds with a machine

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 20:03
by muntjac
xx
can i put a 5 horsepower engine on a3hp machine?

Started by bigsprouts on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 19:13
by jack russell

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.