Newbies question time

• 3 Replies

markp76

Newbies question time
« on: March 02, 2010, 14:08 »
1st time poster here so go easy on me please, just got mt hands on my 1st ever allotment, or should that be piece of field! Just cleared my 1st bed which is approx 4.5ft wide by 25ft long does the size sound about right? How many beds should i be aiming for if i want to rotate properly? Ive read various books some recomend 3 others 4 and even 5 is it a case of the more the merrier? Theres horse muck and compost available for al,l how much would you work in? and any other advice you wish to add will be more than welcome?

Thanks in advance Mark

Forgot to add where in your opinion is the best place buying seeds?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 14:15 by markp76 »

prakash_mib

Re: Newbies question time
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 14:27 »
Welcome to the forum,
you might find very usefull infos here. BTW please put your location in your profile so others can give you location specific advice.
you have a very good size for the first year I would assume. You can hear about what you can grow (after looking at your location)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

noshed

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 14:35 »
Just mark out as many beds as you can fit in - you'll soon find stuff to put in them. Don't forget your compost heap, shed, cold frame etc - Skips and pallets should give you enough scrap wood to build those, most builders will give you stuff like that if you ask nicely.
You can put the compost straight on the beds but the manure will need to rot - either in a heap covered with a bit of old plastic or a pallet bin. I don't get too worried about rotation as such but I do try not to plant the same stuff in the same beds all the time. But I am a bit of a slack gardener.
Talk to the others on your site - they will give you (often conflicting) advice and as Prakash says, whereabouts are you?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

markp76

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 14:47 »
Thanks for the advice but wheres the edit button so i can alter my profile i can't seem to find it  :( I'm from Nottingham by the way.

Found it just didn't look very hard!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 14:49 by markp76 »

xx
silly question time again!

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 13:59
by gillie
xx
Stupid question time

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
Silly question time!

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 15:58
by ianl
xx
silly question time

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 23:48
by frazzy

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 36 queries.