Potato seed chitting

• 1 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Potato seed chitting
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:31 »
Sorry, yet another question on this subject.

I have just unpacked my Latona first earlies some of the seeds already have long white shoots (3" long) do I discard these shoots and start again?   How many chitts should I allow per seed?  Do I wait until the chitts turn pink before planting?  I intend to plant the end of this month or should I wait until the soil warms up a bit and plant with long chitts? :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato seed chitting
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51 »
Long white shoots are of course what you get when the seeds are subjected to (relative) warmth but no light.

The problem is that they are rather fragile and easily snapped off when you plant them, which is still at least a few weeks away depending on where you live (which of course we won't know unless you put your approximate location in your "personal profile"!)

I would take off the long chits (there is a slight risk that if every "eye" has already sprouted it won't produce more chits), and make sure they are all kept cool but well-lit (a  North-facing windowsill in an unheated but frost-free room is a good place)

It is said that fewer (3-4) chits produces fewer but larger spuds, vice-versa obviously if you have many chits.

Hope this helps, atlhough I suspect it won't be your only reply!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Seed Potato Storage - not chitting!

Started by GreenOwl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 22:37
by solway cropper
xx
Potato chitting

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2019, 13:34
by mumofstig
xx
Potato chitting

Started by Pure Novice but tryin! on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 19:39
by Pure Novice but tryin!
xx
potato chitting

Started by alfieplot162 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 10:13
by dougsta

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 37 queries.