What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1920 on: September 16, 2010, 20:57 »
checked and the green manure has germinated, chard survived transplanting ;) and picked some calabrese shoots and some more blackberries :)

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1921 on: September 16, 2010, 22:04 »
Went in the almost dark and spitting rain to get some veg for dinner. Discovered that my uncovered calabrese is so infested with caterpillars that it’s inedible.  :( We had carrots instead! We live & learn.  :blush:

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1922 on: September 16, 2010, 23:11 »
 Stripped out remaining sweet corn to make space for strawberries. Finished planting out my strawberry runners, including some bought from Thompson and Morgan. Dug a few beetroot and turnips and tried to encourage leeks to  get big enough to distinguish themselves from grass - beginning to worry about these!
John

boosh

« Reply #1923 on: September 17, 2010, 20:48 »
Digging and more Digging  :(

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1924 on: September 18, 2010, 16:52 »
Went in the almost dark and spitting rain to get some veg for dinner. Discovered that my uncovered calabrese is so infested with caterpillars that it’s inedible.  :( We had carrots instead! We live & learn.  :blush:
many years ago I grew some calabrese, I harvested some and left it in the kitchen sink. mum cooked it with the dinner. while eating I realised there were boiled caterpillars on the plate - made a quick exit outside (wouldn't have made it to the bathroom).
Never been able to touch it since.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1925 on: September 18, 2010, 17:01 »
and we needed to know this?   :lol:  :tongue2:

Nige2Plots

« Reply #1926 on: September 18, 2010, 17:34 »
Dug up three full rows of late Potatoes..Maris Piper (Some Slug Damage) Harvested some Sweetcorn and dug out the Sunflowers. On the other plot I installed the new compost bin lined with cardboard and continued de-twitching the newly dug areas.

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1927 on: September 20, 2010, 23:29 »
started digging my new plot over full of weeds +grass + stones + odd things that you ask yourself why is that here....... done about 2x2 meters so far lots more to do but hey one day at a time

Paul Plots

« Reply #1928 on: September 20, 2010, 23:41 »
many years ago I grew some calabrese, I harvested some and left it in the kitchen sink. mum cooked it with the dinner. while eating I realised there were boiled caterpillars on the plate - made a quick exit outside (wouldn't have made it to the bathroom).
Never been able to touch it since.

Similar experience at college (long ago)..... A vegeterian student was given a gloriously green plate of cabbage with a poached egg (as an alertantive meal to meat). Part way through she complained about the caterpillars...quite a few!

The response (in those caring, user-friendly, customer focussed, considerate days gone by) was: "Extra protein. Don't make a fuss, they'll over hear you and everyone will want some!"
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1929 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11 »
started digging my new plot over full of weeds +grass + stones + odd things that you ask yourself why is that here....... done about 2x2 meters so far lots more to do but hey one day at a time
Keep digging - you might find that ancient gold ring yet  :D

Springlands

« Reply #1930 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38 »
Stripped that last of the sweet peppers and tomatoes of the plants - OH's friend who was to water them when we were on holiday "forgot" and the plants died. The chilli peppers survived his tender care for some reason and are still doing OK. Started to tidy the GH to get it ready for next year.

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1931 on: September 21, 2010, 20:42 »
Cleared last of sweetcorn bed, and courgette plants,weeded around lettuces,picked more runners, french beans and brussels.

Ate my lunch and several mugs of tea, ponderd for a while, never saw a soul all day, dug and weeded somemore,then came home.

It felt very Autumnal today, the colours of the surrounding trees are beginning to take on a red and copper glow. :)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

Gravedigger

« Reply #1932 on: September 23, 2010, 00:35 »
The clearing of the new allotment began today..all brambles cut down and about half of it strimmed.
The negative: It is full of bricks, rubble and broken glass
The positive: It has a well!!!!

:D

Paul Plots

« Reply #1933 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03 »
A well.... How interesting!

I'd be worried I'd fall in...

• Has it got brick sides?
  • Are you going to make a cover?
  • Why is it there?
  • Who dug it?
  • Is it safe?
  • Has it any water in it?
  • Does anyone else on the site have one?

Tell us more, please....

Gravedigger

« Reply #1934 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42 »
We've not had a good look at it yet.  While we were cleaning many allotment owners came over to say hello etc.  One fella said "you're very lucky having that well" pointing to what we had assumed were the footings of an old shed that had been covered by a layer of pallets.  I had been throwing all the rotting wood we were finding on top of it!  Anyway about an hour later a woman came and said it was her ex-husband's old plot and they had dug the well some years previously (and that it had been a life-saver - there's no water on these plots).  As it is still covered in lots of wood we have not examined it yet - we are waiting until the whole area is clearer as it really is a mess.  My fella is going to make a proper brick top to it.  The area around it is bricked but is also about 18" lower than the ground....will keep you posted :)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 39 queries.