What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1905 on: September 12, 2010, 16:58 »
Dug up a bit more of the 'soon to be' fruit bed, at least I can get the spade in after the rain we've had :)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1906 on: September 12, 2010, 21:12 »
Busy. busy few hours here in Tadley.. been away for a few days and came back to jobs galore! Picked our finest crop of beans to date (which have now either been eaten or frozen).. weeded, hoed, visited the nursery to buy garlic & shallots - planted said garlic & shallots, went to Wickes to buy the wood for the fence (to keep next doors pesky kids (and the cats) out.. now knackered.. but looking forward to the apple crumble that will be ready in about 5 mins!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

gillian62

« Reply #1907 on: September 12, 2010, 22:13 »
I dug a couple of meters length at the side of my allotment to plant 6 rhubarb plants.  Had to work through a bed of stinging nettles, so both arms are stinging tonight.  But felt pleased with the bed once it was cleared and planted.  Just got to plant my other young bushes in the next bit down - redcurrant, gooseberry & raspberry. 

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1908 on: September 12, 2010, 22:26 »
Weeding, finished turning a compost heap and rebuilding it in the next bin, cleared up some strimmings from the common areas after a neighbour strimmed, mulched one of next year’s onion beds with manure, cleared one of our herb beds which was totally choked with fennel, finished tidying the strawberries, and did I mention the weeding? There’s always weeding (and precision weeding if you are my OH).

Harvested a handful of carrots, two giant courgettes and a handful of radishes. Leaving beans to seed now as have a freezerfull already.

Lovely few hours – restoring and fortifying – just what I need to set me up for the week.

andy135

« Reply #1909 on: September 12, 2010, 22:27 »
 Had to work through a bed of stinging nettles, so both arms are stinging tonight.  

If you have nettles, there will probably be some dock leaves nearby. Pull a couple and rub them on the infected area for instant relief.  :)

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1910 on: September 12, 2010, 23:04 »
Tidying, weeding the cultivated bits, glyphosating the uncultivated bits,  and lugging about sacks of potatoes.  Nettled, knackered and happy!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #1911 on: September 13, 2010, 09:41 »
potted up my strawberry runners in the greenhouse - now the proud owner of 40 new strawberry plants and all for free  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:25 by aelf »
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

andy135

« Reply #1912 on: September 13, 2010, 17:28 »
Today I started double digging the first of my four beds. I got down a good two feet to find the clay bed. The perennial weed roots are coming out and hopefully the annual weeds seeds being buried two feet down. Then the whole lot will get a generous application of manure then left to the worms to do their bit over the winter.  :)

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1913 on: September 14, 2010, 21:34 »
Cut the top growth of our potatoes so the skins will harden up ,they should be ready in a fortnight.Planted spring cabbage and purple sprouting broccoli,Tidied up our two blackberry bushes as now they have finished friuting (very early this year)and last but not least weeded the whole plot.all with the help of my lovely wife.Oh I nearly forgot we fed the hens as well.

Neil Doncaster

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1914 on: September 15, 2010, 16:01 »
My ten minute flying visit between meetings had to be extended slightly when my allotment neighbour pointed out the beginnings of blight on my second potato bed.  Took the shears to the top growth, and should have caught it in time.  Doesn't it appear quickly?  There was no sign of that at all at the weekend.  Not sure whether to take them up this weekend, or leave them another fortnight as planned before the blight.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1915 on: September 15, 2010, 16:31 »
This quote is from John's Potato Blight page
If you have a more serious infection, then you need to cut off all the haulm and either compost or burn it. I think composting, especially hot heaps, will be safe but burning is 100%.

Removing the foliage prevents the disease getting into the tubers, as long as they are well covered with earth. Leave the crop alone for at least two weeks to let the blight spores on the surface die and the potatoes develop a thicker skin.

After harvest, check regularly for signs of blight and remove any suspect tubers at once from your store.

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1916 on: September 15, 2010, 16:40 »
Thanks for that @mum.  Was going to do a search later, but snowed under with work just now.  I think one of my tomato plants possibly has it as well (in the polytunnel) as just before I left I noticed a few had brown mushy bits at the bottom.  Didn't have time to do anything about it though.  It'll have to be Friday now as I'm away for work all day tomorrow.  Dratted need to make a living interfering with lottie maintenance!

digalotty

« Reply #1917 on: September 15, 2010, 19:29 »
picked up my flask that i left on sunday and a few beans that are ready
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1918 on: September 15, 2010, 20:36 »
watered the winter salad sowings and the cucumber in the greenhouse. Picked a few black cherry toms  :)and another courgette  :blink:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #1919 on: September 16, 2010, 20:48 »
Dug out all my tomato plants, filled and sealed up eight bags ready for the dump!
The dreaded blight! :ohmy:

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob

Page created in 1.111 seconds with 39 queries.