What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1845 on: September 04, 2010, 14:56 »
I hoe, I hoe, it's to chop the weeds I go  :lol:

Did half an hour, picked a handful of climbing beans and a few fat blackberries for tea,and  had a natter with an OB who had a great crop, but didn't know which variety of spuds he planted  ::) so not a lot of help there then  :lol:

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1846 on: September 04, 2010, 17:40 »
Supervised 6 small boys digging potatoes and picking tomatoes :ohmy:
Cut some of the weeds down, though now I can call it a "habitat" and pretend it is supposed to be there.

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1847 on: September 04, 2010, 21:25 »
Got excited when (half of) next years seeds came. Made the front of the last part of my five bay composting bins and turned the bay next to it into it and layered in the last of the communal fresh manure heap. Can't believe how hot the old heap had got in only two weeks. Marvelled at my lottie neighbour’s two foot (rat gnawed) marrows – some of the wide range of veg he grows and never harvests! Picked another big bunch of French beans. Reluctantly decided I’ll have to water tomorrow.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1848 on: September 04, 2010, 22:35 »
Nothing I went to work at Bristol Kite festival. Although I didnt escape the craft stall tent as I had a stand

Pooped now its hard work sat on your bum all day  :wub:

Paul Plots

« Reply #1849 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10 »
I dug a trailer load of spuds (cycle trailer). Several weighed in at just under 2lb each so quite delighted.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

plum crumble

« Reply #1850 on: September 05, 2010, 09:27 »
well, just got back - the sun was out and beautiful - now it's gone all agloaming! its gonna turn nasty!.
BUT, came home with a basket-full of runners, French beans, toms, lettuce, purple sprouting broccoli. And this was a BIG basket full! Someone had left a H*mebase one by the lottie gates (charming!), so I requisitioned it for collection purposes!  ::) :D most useful!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Paul Plots

« Reply #1851 on: September 05, 2010, 14:58 »
well, just got back - the sun was out and beautiful - now it's gone all agloaming! its gonna turn nasty!.
BUT, came home with a basket-full of runners, French beans, toms, lettuce, purple sprouting broccoli. And this was a BIG basket full! Someone had left a H*mebase one by the lottie gates (charming!), so I requisitioned it for collection purposes!  ::) :D most useful!

Now all you need is a bike-hitch coupling and a decent bike!  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #1852 on: September 05, 2010, 15:16 »
 ::) :lol:
can you imagine? I would be known as the mad woman of the village (well, even more than I already am!!!) That's one of the good things about getting older - you can become more and more eccentric. And it's such fun embarassing your grand-children. (How many times do I hear, "Oh NAN!!") :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1853 on: September 05, 2010, 15:17 »
Stayed and worked in the rain -- cleared away all the old sweetcorn plants and pumpkin trailers and chopped them up for the compost bin.

Mr Sunny dug up some more of the 'sacrificial' potato crop -- another 15kg of white maincrops, wihtout wireworm damage  :lol: :lol:

Reorganised where the new beds are going to be to make the most of the 3m length of board we have been given: don't want to have to cut them really  :D :D

Came home absolutely soaked, but glad we put the time in  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #1854 on: September 05, 2010, 15:32 »
::) :lol:
can you imagine? I would be known as the mad woman of the village (well, even more than I already am!!!) That's one of the good things about getting older - you can become more and more eccentric. And it's such fun embarassing your grand-children. (How many times do I hear, "Oh NAN!!") :D

Mad woman?   :blink: Great!!!  ;)

There've been a fair few people who have been regarded as mad to begin with but have proved to be pure geniuses.

Start a trend... pedal-powered shopping trollies  :lol:

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1855 on: September 05, 2010, 15:46 »
Lots of work and a long day yesterday, I started at 8am as I had quite a bit to dig before the Rotavator turned up. I managed to get it done and all the weeds removed by one o'clock and I also marked out the beds and paths. Rotavator turned up at one I spent until 6 o'clock going over the plot ((this is plot 2 by the way)) I then finished the marking out of the plot ready for sunday.
Sunday is damp to say the least, anyway over the plot by 8am again and started clearing the paths, managed the first two beds which I have planted my over winter green manure mix then it started raining ..... a lot. Stayed another hour by which time I was soaking and then cycled home with the trailer and tools.

Met another couple from the plots last night, asked about their produce and what seems to work for them, and by the look its everything, he has some fantastic veg lovely potatoes and runners and chard etc, etc, In fact I came home with one large marrow, two squashes broad beans chard and potatoes, I have to say some people are very generous :)

The plot next to theirs has been planted with tons of veg and then just left, the bloke can't be bothered with it and everything is going to waste, its such a shame when this happens there should be rules that allow produce to be picked and delivered to old peoples homes or the such like when this happens, as it is we are not allowed to touch it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 16:08 by mumofstig »

boosh

« Reply #1856 on: September 05, 2010, 16:05 »
Well the tom's turned out to be bush ones in the end and next year i will grow them in pots as they get in a right mess on the floor  :lol: . so i've picked all of the remaining fruit and all the green ones will be turned into green tom chutney as in Val and Johns book. Did this last year and the Chutney was Fantastic  :D . Will dig this area over for the Garlic.  :)

dav105e

« Reply #1857 on: September 05, 2010, 18:31 »
went today and picked runner beans, more courgettes, toms, chilli's and some blackberry's. Got home and made apple and blackberry jam from val's book.

GillE

« Reply #1858 on: September 05, 2010, 20:31 »
Today I hoed the whole of our new allotment, then sowed some mash and sowed half the plot with mustard as a green manure.

While I did this, hubby sank a few posts and wired pallets to them to create compost bins.  Then we transferred our heap of fresh horse manure into the compost bins and covered it with a tarpaulin which is waaaayyyy too big, so we fastened it to the compost bins with wires passed through eyelets around its edge.  We also filled half a dozen milk containers with water and used them to weigh the tarpaulin down.

It's hard work, this gardening malarkey.  Both of us are moaning about our backs, but we've both also got glints in our eyes because we've enjoyed ourselves.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1859 on: September 05, 2010, 21:14 »
I sowed some winter stuff for the greenhouse, corn salad, rocket and Italian winter lettuce.
 thinned and watered the Autumn King carrots.

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
this is our allotment - signed for it today x

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:13
by mumofstig
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 39 queries.