What I did on the allotment today

• 2312 Replies

Starling

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the allotment today
« Reply #1770 on: August 24, 2010, 20:22 »
Emptied all the pots as they were full to the brim with water - suppose ot makes a change from having to water them.
Finally cut down the raspberries.

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1771 on: August 24, 2010, 21:53 »
Binned all our butternut squash which had succumbed to Gummy Stem Blight.  :( Checked all the rest of my cucurbits (and those of my neighbours just in case and coz I was feeling guilty) but luckily found no further signs.  :blush:

Staked my lovely chilli and pepper plants and took off five more lovely red Cayenne chillies.

Pondered on why I have two beautiful looking aubergine plants and not a single aubergine!   ???

Realised that one of my fantastic lottie neighbours has done an industrial tethering and staking job on my rickety runner bean support which I guess had taken a bit of a hammering from the wind.   :D

Harvested yet more bucketloads of runner and French beans, including some huge overgrown ones, even though I stripped the plants on Sunday. Or so I thought. Where do they hide?

Pulled some beautiful looking carrots and realised that the courgette fairy had been again.

And we managed all that in less than an hour and finished before the rain came.  :)

Springlands

« Reply #1772 on: August 25, 2010, 09:36 »
Cut down the last of the cucumber plants which had all gone mouldy - found one last lonely cuke. Picked more toms, courgettes and plenty more chillies for pickling. Did a general tidy up as going on hols at end of week.

Guzzik

« Reply #1773 on: August 25, 2010, 12:32 »
Went down at 9am in the precipitating rain.  Dug two rows of carrots, two rows of beetroot, picked 30 odd sweetcorn cobs, two cabbages that were ready and a few dozen black, yeallw and green dwarf french beans.  Came home, washed n bagged carrots for market, topped beetroot and cooked and put in punnets for market, took of the outer leaves of the sweetcorn cobs and bagged in twos for market...........Nice day all round other than getting soaked:)
No, that carrot is a worm mum.................

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #1774 on: August 25, 2010, 13:18 »
Did the usual - weeded a little bit, watered greenhouse, looked at the beautiful blue sky and broke down into tears thinking how much I missed my mum and Nan.  Felt lonely, then weeded again.  Now off to the day job.

gimli

« Reply #1775 on: August 25, 2010, 13:18 »
weeded and put in some potatoes  :D in the hope they will come.
tied up my tomatoes as wind keeps blowing them all over and then picked some plumbs
gimli

Paul Plots

« Reply #1776 on: August 25, 2010, 14:53 »
Went down at 9am in the precipitating rain.  Dug two rows of carrots, two rows of beetroot, picked 30 odd sweetcorn cobs, two cabbages that were ready and a few dozen black, yeallw and green dwarf french beans.  Came home, washed n bagged carrots for market, topped beetroot and cooked and put in punnets for market, took of the outer leaves of the sweetcorn cobs and bagged in twos for market...........Nice day all round other than getting soaked:)

Market? Are you selling allotment produce?  :blink:  :ohmy:

Our allotment site complete bans the selling of anything grown by anyone. Our plots are let on the understanding that no financial profit is made from the produce. They are for personal / private use only.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1777 on: August 25, 2010, 15:41 »
The law allows for excess produce from an allotment to be sold under "Farm Gate" laws.

Produce may not be sold as part of a business or trade arrangement though.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #1778 on: August 25, 2010, 18:44 »
Not a lot .... just planted all the stawberry runners that i potted up a few weeks ago in a new bed .

Blueberry

« Reply #1779 on: August 25, 2010, 20:35 »
I did nothing as it has been raining and it is still coming down in buckets.  I am waiting for a few dry days so I can tidy up and prepare an area for my winter onions and garlic.

Guzzik

« Reply #1780 on: August 25, 2010, 21:18 »
[
Market? Are you selling allotment produce?  :blink:  :ohmy:

Our allotment site complete bans the selling of anything grown by anyone. Our plots are let on the understanding that no financial profit is made from the produce. They are for personal / private use only.

Mmmmmmmmmm, not ALL allotments are like yours though:)  Anyway, what i take goes right back into the plot again, like the new 10 by 8 greenhouse, heating etc and so forth, never mind the BFB meal, growmore and last but not least, the seeds for the next crop:)  I also "feed" my mother-in-law and her hubby plus three others where I live coz they is in the dole and I is not:)

The rules also do not cover BARTER.  So, when we have buckets loads ( I don't just have the plot I go on about here), we go to a local shop and swap veggies for meat:)  Nowt wrong with that, give it a try and see what happens:)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 21:23 by Guzzik »

Guzzik

« Reply #1781 on: August 25, 2010, 21:21 »
The law allows for excess produce from an allotment to be sold under "Farm Gate" laws.

Produce may not be sold as part of a business or trade arrangement though.

This also covers ones "Home Producers" type one day a week town markets.  And as this is the only day of the week that I sell produce for roughly 3 hours..................

Paul Plots

« Reply #1782 on: August 26, 2010, 15:17 »
Interestingly flexible interpretation of the rules.... I am very sure no one on our site would get away with it for very long.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1783 on: August 26, 2010, 16:06 »
What I did today was

carted away the top 7/8th of my apricot tree, which has snapped off in the gales., leaving the (luckily) unpruned side shoots, so now have a funny little bush.

Found all the paieces of my cabbage cage which the wind had kindly dispersed around th place and rebuilt it, hammering it in hard with a brick

Chatted to the security guards on site with their massive dogs until Monday, to protect us from the ravages of Reading Festival Goers  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leaped in the car when it started to rain .... again!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

boosh

« Reply #1784 on: August 26, 2010, 16:07 »
Nothing  :( wet and wet and wetter  :( oh well! it is Bank Holiday this weekend,  :)

smiley
First allotment today

Started by loopylottie on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 12:12
by LittleRedHen
xx
today at allotment........pics

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 23:17
by spongebob
xx
Allotment viewing....TODAY

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 21:02
by Yorkie
xx
Chose my Allotment today!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 00:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.816 seconds with 37 queries.